Should i be worried that my 2 year old is not speaking?

My son is two and he barely says anything. We talk to him all the time, and we try to get him to ask for whatever he wants. He will hand us his cup and we will ask " do you want juice?" or Ask of juice but he gets get mad and screams. His friend is two months older then him and she's been talking for over a years and my one year old nephew is even talking. Idon't know what to do. Should we be worried? Some we seek professional help? Someone help please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would definately seek some help it could be a developmental thing or autism
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you're truly worried about it ask your doctor and see if he/she has any concerns. But, my uncle didn't talk until he was almost 3, usually b/c nobody ever gave him a chance. They would get him things before he had an opportunity to ask for them. Keep doing what you're doing now, try to push him into it. He knows the words, most likely, he may just be stubborn. But, I'm not a dr. so I will still consult him/her.
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Similar situation w/ my 2 year old. He can say words and he's started saying a phrase here and there, but he's not to the point where his classmates in daycare are. He's actually been involved w/ Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) since the beginning of the year. They come to the daycare to work w/ him and occasionally here to our house. You might check and see if your town has that or a similar program. Its low-cost, sometimes even free, so you have nothing to lose.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 10:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes, be very concern and act NOW. Google autism screenings in your area, talk to your pediatrician "demand" screenings and a speech pathologist evaluation, a developmental pediatrician evaluation. Don't take no for an answer. Early intervention is the key for any delays and not talking at 2 is considered a speech delay at least. Send me your e-mail address and I will send you an excel sheet of developmental milestones broken down by age like birth to 6 months, 6 months to 12 months, 12 month to 18 month, and so on, Share that with pediatrician, and include anything else they suggest. Be pro-active does your child make eye contact?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• is he social? does he want to hug and kiss you and things? my son is four and still doesnt talk well. he is not autistic and they are not sure why he doesnt speek well. have you checked your son's hearing?
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 12:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009