Long Plane Rides??

My hubby and I were considering a trip to South Africa and Egypt sometime soon to visit some extended family, but the plane ride is super long (17 hours!) i have a 5 yo boy, a 10 yo old girl and a 14 yo girl. They are all fairly well behaved kids, I'm just worried about how they'll hold up. Any advice or experience with this?

LeviM

Asked by LeviM at 9:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Travel

• books, movies, iPods, coloring books...

What ever you do, don't give them sleep aids! I know that they are older and I've heard some parents give their kids benadryl to help them sleep, but I think it's wrong to drug your kids so you can go on a trip. I say, if they aren't bored, they will behave. And just prepare them for the length of the flight. I'd be most worried about the 5yo, but you can handle it, especially if the whole family is going. Have fun!!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 10:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I've been on vacation from Hawaii to germany and back (all together 22 hours) with a 19 month old... It's not so bad, they have enough movies and food on those long flights! Maybe take some toys and books for your kids!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009