i have questions about breastfeeding

i cant breastfeed my daughter yet bc shes in nicu and so im pumping every three hours for like 30 min or so but all i get is 5ml everytime its not increasing my daughters 5 days old can anyone help have suggestions advice anything bc i really do want to breastfeed

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk my milk came in after 3 days and i would get 3oz out of each breast my son was born 5 weeks early and was in the nursery for 5 days. i pumped for a month he never latched but one time and i had a LC too. i would ask the nurses or a LC or look online i don't really know. i know beer helps though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Milk builds up due to demand. Try pumping more often. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
    Anonymous

• I would take a supplement. Fenugreek. Ive been taking it afew days now and it is incredible!
    Also eat oatmeal and have a beer, those are supposed to help too.
    Apply a hot towel to your breasts and massage them to help milk flow. And up your fluid intake.
    What sort of pump are you using?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• im using a medela pump and thank you for your responses
    gizmom529

Answer by gizmom529 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• While your baby is in the NICU I would see about getting a hospital grade pump if the one you are using isn't.
    And then I would massage your breasts before you start pumping.
    My milk didn't come in until day 4 and even then it wasn't much. But just keep at it... it will come! And if you still don't have much in a day or two ask your doctor about using something like Reglan to get your supply going.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Pump more often...babies will often "Cluster Feed" to get your milk supply up...meaning they want to eat every 20 minutes or so for a few hours straight. (My daughter did this in the evenings when my milk supply was the lowest). Try replicating that with the pump. Pick a time of day when you're just sitting in front of the tv or something and pump, take a break, pump again, etc. After about 48 hours, you should see an increase. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• well hmm a medela pump is good! I have to use a cheap ass lansinoh hand pump cause hubby is a cheapskate and wont let me have an electric one lol. But even on top of EBF I can get more milk than that...
    Again I would really recommend taking some fenugreek. Its all natural, and the only side effect is your armpits will reak of maple syrup haha.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'm a lactation specialist, so feel free to PM me if you like. I have worked with clients in your situation.
    First of all, I commend you for pushing through this, and sticking with the breastfeeding. It will REALLY help your baby to get all that wonderful milk from you! There are so many things that will help her heal that formula just can't offer.
    Try to pump as much as you can. It's VERY normal not to get much when pumping, but don't give up! Pump as often as you can handle it. Are you able to try to get her on your breast at all?
    Fenugreek might help, it's worth a try.
    When you pump, try to do it where it is quiet, and you can focus. Imagine your daughter at your breast, smelling her, feeling her warmth against you, hearing her swallow. It will really help to get your letdown going.
    Make sure you take good care of your nipples, because you can get very sore exclusively pumping, and it ups your risk of mastitis.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Also, I assume you have lactation consultants available to you at the hospital (if not, GET ONE!). But it's also very important to surround yourself with loving, supportive people. Make sure your hubby, in laws, parents, siblings, etc know that you need all the support you can get. I had a really tough time with my son (not pumping, but latch issues), and my hubby would lay there with me and tell me how great I was doing, and how wonderful a mom I was. It meant the world, even if he was full of it. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• massage while you pump its all about supply and demand if you completely empty your breast of milk it tells your body that it needs to make more
    ashora

Answer by ashora at 4:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009