Has any one had a problem with their toddlers not absorbing food? Need some help here!

Ok. my 22mo has been diagnosed with malabsorption syndrome. She's in the 3rd percentile and weighs 20lbs. She looks like a skeleton with a poofy belly. Her doctor said that the malabsorption is caused by an underlying problem with her digestive system. She said that her symptoms match four things: cystic fibrosis, a blockage, pancreatic cancer or intestinal cancer.
I've set up an appointment with her specialist for the 26th, but she has been pooping 5 times a day with nasty diapers. kinda looks like someone chewed up her food and spit it in her diaper. Anyway, I'm worried because my pappaw died 3 years ago b/c of a tumor in his pancreas. I'm scared and feel helpless because there is nothing I can do that will make her absorb her food. I can't fix her and it's tearing me up! I feel like I failed her! I need to know if any other moms have been through this and what can I do for her?

JenniP0708270

Asked by JenniP0708270 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow.....I feel terrible for you. Good luck!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I went through it, kinda. My daughter has been tiny from birth, and never EVER had a formed stool, it's always been loose, runny (like water), or soft (rarely). It looked weird and had weird things in it. I thought it was a milk allergy, so I switched her to soy for months and no improvement, then switched her to lactose free for months and no improvement. I cut out juice completely, no improvement. I took a stool sample to her doctor to test for malabsorption and he ran it off for testing which I never heard back. He said as long as she's eating and gaining weight not to worry. Well, she's almost 3 now (in 2 months) and still never a formed stool. She's still skinny, she's 28 lbs and a little over 3 ft tall, but not underweight according to their charts. I'm going to have her re-tested again bc I feel the doctor was wrong, she shouldn't have poop like that! Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok for your little one!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Stay strong, you have not failed her... you are standing right there with her fixing her... can you add some protein shakes to her diet? if she is having an issue with the digestion, a high protein drink might help get her some nutrition... My thoughts will be with you ... chat back if you need to vent, I will be here to support you ...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 10:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'll try the protein shakes and see what happens. I know we tried vitamins before but they didn't digest.
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009