FOR Those of ALL faiths..or lack thereof, a question about worship and families.

I was on the Dr Phil website 5 minutes ago, and I was reading some advice about the Five Factors for a Phenominal Family. Ya know trying to get some professional parenting advice..la la la... Let me know what your opinions are about this. I thought it was an interseting topic to discuss...
"Worship together.
For many families, attending a worship service is a major family ritual. Family participation in worship is an excellent way to enact a family's faith through rituals and lay a spiritual foundation for children. "
http://drphil.com/articles/article/195

For those with no particular religion, how do you create family rituals, similar to those of faith, of course without the "faith" part?
For those of any faith, how do you lay a spiritual foundation for your family?

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ritual and tradition do not always have to have a religious connotation.

There were times in my life I lived with just my mom and I. For us, getting up together on Sunday mornings and eating the same breakfast together, with the Sunday paper and a serious discussion of whatever topic happened to come up (sometimes theological, sometimes sociological....) - that became tradition.

So did "adventures" on holidays (like the time we drove to Lake Havasu on Christmas Day), and two rings to let the other know we got home safe.

They are small things, but they have personal meaning - which is what makes them important.

No one can make anything more or less important to your family than you allow it to be, so find your own traditions and rituals and MAKE them important.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'll answer first.....
    My family and I try to make it to church as often as possible, usually on a Sunday, but Saturday works sometimes. If my husband i working, or something slows us down in the morning, we will watch church on TV, and a few other religious programming. We are Catholic, and we want to recieve communion, so we go to church as often as possible. We usually get donuts in the lobby as part of the tradition.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my hubby and i always attend church, he even went w my family before we were married...because he wanted to. i never asked him, he asked if he could go with us one day. anyways. the baby is just a year old and we pray at meal times and read a short children's prayer every night. eventually he will have some understanding. my nephew did at 2 and a half....now at 4 he understands a great deal more. i think that answers your questoin
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• As someone who grew up outside of organized religion, I feel like my parents did a great job laying a moral foundation for my growth through rules, rights and responsibilities, etc. However, I'm currently debating whether I want to do the same with my children, or if I would rather join an organized religion. I think my parents always intended to show me what was available and let me decide for myself...the trouble is, I never really did. At the moment, I'm leaning towards joining a Church and seeing how it goes. I know I won't do well in a super strict environment, but there have to be good churches out there that will work for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well I also with my family go church on Sundays and the childrens go to study bible for their ages also as a family we try to do things together that teach us about God like reading the bible together pray for each other.
    Now if you do not have a faith you should look forward to do activities that bring your family together ( samples: go and play bowling wit your falmily, set apart one or more days where all your family can have a picnic or have dinner without tv or have a tablegames night at home with your family.
    There is a lot of things you can do together maybe you can have a plan for every weekend jus a couple of ideas : )
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Holidays and birthdays are all about family for us.  We also make it a point to have dinner together every night although that is becoming more difficult now since both me and my daughter are working.  We used to have family night but the kids are older and want to do their own thing so I guess that is nature's way of paving the way to the empty nest.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• When the kids were still living at home we went to church when ever there was a service, went to special speakers, had the kids in church activities, went to camps as a family.......then when they grew up and moved away they chose not to go to church; but our daughter allowed us to take our Granddaughter.
    I still hold to they were raised in the WAY that they should go and they will not depart from it.
    My kids are pretty good adults and they were good kids. Normal kid stuff, but they were never an embarrassment or bad.
    I am proud of them.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 10:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Church should be more than a ritual for family bonding. My job as a Christian parent is not to create family rituals. My job is to train them in the way of the Lord. My faith and hopefully their faith is a life not a ritual, not just some belief code. Yes, church attendance is one part, but I want my children to my faith in every aspect of my life and as they are able to choose and begin to understand I pray they will follow Jesus as Lord and savior and live a wonderful Christian life themselves.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Like beeky said holidays and birthdays. Family dinners together. My daughter does meditation with me and sometimes even the boys will try.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Family meals, vacations, walks, game night, movie night, reading to the kids, playing ball with them...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009