What type of milk is best to drink during pregnancy: whole, 2%, 1% or fat free?

I keep getting different answers, the wic office says it is best to drink 2% or less, but a friend that is a nurse said that the doctor that she works for says that it is best for pregnant women to drink whole milk, Just curious to see what all of you think.

jenniferh3

Asked by jenniferh3 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• whole
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• we drink whole in my house. it's only 8 grams of fat....and those fats and calories are healthy ones
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my doctor told me to cut back to 2% in my first pregnancy because i was drinking so much whole that i had gained too much weight in a short period of time. so i guess it depends how much you drink.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I was told by WIC, medicaid and my doctor to drink whole milk. It is the best because it has the most fat content in it and provides extra nutrients for your growing baby. That was from THREE different doctors in 2 different counties, 2 WIC offices in two different counties, and 2 different medicaid offices with different on-staff nurses to do pregnancy test and STD tests. I have also for my current pregnancy been put on a high sodium diet (for low blood pressure) and a high whole milk diet because my body is threatening miscarriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You also need to factor in your body type. If you are overweight, then obviously, you wouldn't want to drink whole milk; more like nonfat. If you are underweight, try whole, if you are at a healthy weight, try 1-2%. You might talk to your OB or midwife, or a nutritionist who handles pregnant women.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers!
    jenniferh3

Answer by jenniferh3 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009