what does it me if 15 yr old has missed 4 periods..I know for a fact that she's not pregnant but she has been dieting latley wondering if this may have anything to do with it?

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 10:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• 15 isn't really old enough to be regular. and to have a period you have to be at a certain body fat. hense why athletes do not get their until later, because the BMI isn't high. also when your body goes through any changes, diet, stess, etc....you could miss a period
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• maybe she has an eating disorder, i knew a girl who was anorexic and she missed her periods alot.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It depends on when she started her period. If it has been a couple of years, she should be regular. If it has been less than a year, it may be normal and her body just learning to regulate itself. It could be from dieting, stress, etc. You could take her for a gyno exam to make sure there is nothing going on with her body.

I am not trying to be rude, but do you know with 100% certainty that she is NOT having sex?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah I second taking her to the gyno
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah, by 15 if she's been having regular periods for more than a year, she should be regular. I very restrictive diet could cause this,but I too would take her to the gynecologist. Even if she's not pregnant, there may be something wrong, and it's usually best to find out early to take care of it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Oh is she on depo? I heard that can stop periods as well
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh yes, dieting will stop a period in a heartbeat. Anything you do to your normal regular routine such as diet or exercise can alter your cycle. By 15, if she has been cycling for over 2 years, she should be regular enough to know when its going to start. Four months is a long time, even at 15. My dd started at 11 and shes been fairly regular ever since. When I was a teenager, I skipped about 6 mos because I lost about 35 lbs. I knew I wasnt pregnant, but once I leveled out weight wise, it came back. If you want to take her in to double check, then great, but I am fairly sure thats what it is.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Dieting, stress, extreme exercise can all cause missed periods. Unless you have seen her negative pregnancy tests, then you do not not for certain that she is pregnant. Get her to a doctor.

My daughter has had exact, 28 day menstrual cycles from day one.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• This sounds normal. Just a concern though. Has she lost a lot of weight? Make sure she is eating right and maintaining a good weight for her size. A check up at her doctor sounds in order.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 1:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't know if it could have anything to do with her diet or not, but I do think she should get a check up.
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 1:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009