What should I do about my daughter's father ...

he was out of her life for 7 yrs....came back into her life 2yrs ago I was not crazy about this because he would come around when ever...did not provide support for her regularly...made empty promises. Any way the last straw was after he was fired and the courts favored with him providing $30 a wk, however he always managed to buy him self desinger clothes and jewlery....etc I decided to tell him you either stay in her life and do right by her or just disappear...I later regretted giving him that option because I felt I still had no right to give him that ultimatum. Fast foward to now when he came back to her life he would see her regularly and buy her things and occasionaly give me money. Now that time has passed he is doing the same thing. I just feel this is totally unfair and unacceptable should I even try to go to court again and get my daughter the support she needs ...at least to save it for her college tuition

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 10:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, your daughter has a right to that support. You can't force him to be a good father, but you may be able to force him to provide for her.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Let her decide if she wants to see him, if not let it go. My son was 12 when he had enough of his bio-fathers selfish bs and asked him to get out of his life, when he was 14 my DH adopted him (has been Dad since DS was 1y.o) and he has been alot happeir without the extra stress of his sperm donor in his life.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Unfortunately, it is kind of easy for a dad to get out of paying child support. You could take him to court again to try, it may be worth a shot as long as it doesn't cost you more in legal fees in the long run. As far as him being in your daughter's life, I think you should ask her if she wants to try to build a relationship with him or not and let her decide. I wish you the best - it's so sad that so many dads just blow it with their kids.
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 1:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree, let her decide, but keep in mind, she may change her mind! This past summer, after staying with her dad and new step mom, my kid decided she didn't want 2 go there ever again. 2 weeks later, she changed her mind. He hasn't had a job/paid CS since March. As a mom, we do have to abide by the court's ruling til it changes, unfortunately. Just don't do anything that he could get u in trouble for in court. (like not following the rulings). It's hard, and I know how u feel! But I keep in mind, That's her dad. When she's had enough, she'll tell me. She just turned 13, also. Good luck!
    Alyssa7996

Answer by Alyssa7996 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009