Am I doing the right thing?

For the past two days my 14 month old daughter cries her head off when I put her down even to do the smallest task. I dont know if I should walk away like its a temper tantrum or if I should comfort her. Is she trying to have control or is she too young for this? What is the best way to handle this?

megnastansky

Asked by megnastansky at 10:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my DD did this I would try to involve her in what I was doing so she knew if she wanted she could be part of it and I wasnt leaving her. Almost everything has a way for kids to be involved...you just have to be creative. Hope that helps a little
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree, the more a child feels like they have control over a situation, the better they handle it.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• tell her you are right there but you have something to do. it may be an actual fear of you disappearing or it may be her manipulating you. if you think its an actual fear, give her a job wherever it is you are. (in the kitchen she can put away pots and cooking spoons that kinda thing) for both you can try distraction, a fave movie/cartoon, a coloring book and crayons, a bunch of silly songs on a cd. she may just not know how to entertain herself, set her down with some toys around and let her be. she'll be fine, i would probably give mine the option to follow me and if she didn't want to she'd have to fend for herself, but thats b/c i know if mine didn't want to follow its manipulation.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had this problem with my LO, too. I'd leave the room and if she fussed I'd come back after 30 sec to reassure her that I was still around. Then I went up to 1 min and so on until she stopped. Now she plays by herself when I have things to do. I also found that if I gave her a sippy before I walked out then she wouldn't know I was gone. at least until the sippy was empty. just don't give too much juice or you'll be running back to diarrhea!stick out tongue mini

JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009