Do you think you're better or "stronger" for not getting an epidural?

Be honest. I don't care if you think so or not, I LOVED my epidural and would not have a birth any other way!!! Go me!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I didn't think I could do it without the epidural, but I had no choice with my second because I got to the hospital too late. (I still had a 12 hour labor, but it really sped up at the end and I wasn't sure of when to go to the hospital). I would never compare myself to others or think I'm better than anyone else for going all natural (it wasn't even my choice!) but once I got through it I was really proud of myself and I do suppose I felt stronger or saw myself as a stronger person than I did before. Now that I've done it all natural once I want to do it again. However, each labor is different, if I had to do my first all over again I would get an epidural again, but I think first labors are usually the hardest.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'm sure I would have loved one. I'm old. I had a saddle block which means they didn't give us anything until the baby crowned. We had to endure all that labor afforded us! Am I stronger for it? No. I think I'm "damaged" over it. That was pretty stressful. I wish we had epidurals back then!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I wish my epidural had worked for me. Why would any woman not want to ease the pain?
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Seriously? I will NEVER have another child without an epidural. If having one makes me "weak", then I am. Why be in the worst pain ever when there is help available. I want to enjoy the birth of my child, not be withering in pain.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had three shots of epidural and still felt my c section. I would rather not have an epidural then to have one.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am very glad I when with an epidural. I wasn't able to have one with my first, and that put a lot of stress on my baby, and I was so out of it I didn't even know what was going on and found out he wasn't breathing when he was born hours later,(he is great now). With my second and third child I had an epidural and it was much more enjoyable. I remebered everthing that was going on.
    rlapierre03

Answer by rlapierre03 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My epidural also didn't work. I'm with admckenzie . . . I feel damaged after my birth experience. I was in active crazy labor for 23 hours. .. epidural didn't work, I got a fever and I was puking over and over. It was awful! They kept saying "you can do it!, push!" Man, I thought I was going to die . . . pushed for over 2 1/2 hours and she never progressed down my birth canal . . . they never even saw her head at all . . . FINALLY, they decided on a c-section. At that moment, I felt SO relieved. Gosh, I can only imagine how wonderful it could have been if the epidural worked, she progressed and I had a vaginal birth. Instead I have this traumatic memory..................next time, they will automatically take for c-section, because I have a prominant sacrum and apparently that's why she couldn't fit through. If I had to go through that again, Leila would stay an only child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I did it both ways.. my first it was such a wonderful experience. my second, the epi didnt kick in til AFTER i had him and I was having back labor... I enjoyed my first birthing experience SO much more thanks to the epidural.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• had one with an epi and the second without If i had a third i would have had an epI.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If we say yes, you will all attack us. I have seen these posts before and it always turns into a bash fest.
    I will say that I have had three pain med free births and would NOT change a thing. I would never choose an epidural because of the risks to the baby and myself. Just because none of you had any horrible side effects doesn't mean they don't happen. I do feel like I was stronger. Damn giving birth should not be a walk in the park. I would never put my baby at risk for my own comfort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009