What would happen if I cut up my husbands credit cards?

I'm thinking of cutting up 2 of them ,he can keep one of them the money freak fanantic,sorry he doesn't use cash he says,he can keep track of his spending better with credit cards.Now, I know some of you use them but are you out of a job and still using them?That's what he's doing,he doesn't have a job he just pays the dues every month and do these credit card people care that he's out of a job and charging like this?He's said he's going to become bankrupt what does that mean.I'm hoping by cutting them up he will get his butt together, of course maybe after a huge fight and out tempers flaring!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Although I see where you are coming from, I think that is very immature to punish him by cutting them up...he needs to learn and understand what the problem is so he can fix it. You need to sit him down and really speak with him one to one, not in a mean or angry or attacking tone, but in a gentle im here for you kind of way and let him know how it is affecting you and your family that he is doing this. Hopefully if he sees that it is really hurting you (not just in the present, but it sounds like its going to in the long run too if he keeps it up..) he will do what he can to change his ways.......good luck.
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If my SO cut up MY credit cards, he would have divorce papers the next day. I don't care if we are married or not, if they are in my name, he has NO right cutting up my property. I do not suggest you cut up his cards, unless your name is on the account too. Then I would just call the credit card company and CLOSE THE ACCOUNTS. No, the credit card companies don't care if someone is working, the more that is charged the more interest is charged so the cc company makes more money. It sounds like you need to sit down and talk to hubby about the financial situation but DO NOT cut up his cards, you could be in for more trouble than it is worth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• he could get them replaced if he wanted them enough. he'd get pissed, im sure. but is there any money coming in to pay the bills?

bankruptcy is when you are so far in debt there is no likely way you will be able to pay it off. it costs a couple hundred to file and there are laws and such, which might be good for a lawyer. basically you have zero credit for 7 years after it goes through.

and his credit can affect your credit, no matter what they say. my mom went through it with my father. if affected jobs etc.

if you have the power to CANCEL the cards, id do that.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Cutting up the cards will do nothing except get your DH angry at you. He can just call the companies & request new cards--destroying the cards does not close the account. If he is so determined to declare bankruptcy, I would schedule an appointment with an attorney. They can explain that you have to attend credit counseling in order to declare bankruptcy & also that many times, the courts will not allow a discharge if it is obvious that the person charged up the accounts immediately (about 6 months) prior to declaring bankruptcy. Good luck whatever happens.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• if you were married to my hubby you would have his undying gratitude. We did that three years ago and paid the balances off with a loan from our retirement account. We have paid that off and in 52 days we will borrow half again to buy me a 2009 car and pay off our martgage. We will pay back the account in 5 years and still have a few years before he retires.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I see your point maybe not cutting them up put having a hug fight and getting him to give them to you. He is your hubby and I don't see how he can go bankrupt without you to. He is the bread winner of the family and is out of work, for most guys when they can't support their family they take it hard. I wish I knew how to help you help him but I don't. Hang in there and if you have to call the credit cards and put a freeze on new purchases. THings will get better.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Missbreezy, it isn't that you have no credit for 7 years after a bankruptcy, it is that the record of the bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 7 years. Credit is the ability to borrow money. You can start building credit the day after a bankruptcy discharge. Sure, it is more difficult & you will probably pay higher interest rates on everything but there are programs to help. There are secured credit cards, programs for car loans & many people can even get a mortgage within 2-3 years (with a larger down payment). It isn't a perfect option but for people who are so in debt that they cannot get out, it can be the fresh start that they need. The OP really needs to consult an attorney if her DH is serious about a bankruptcy.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009