heartburn during pregnancy?

I was wondering if there is something you can take like tums or anything that can help at least a little bit. Ive never had heartburn and it hurts me so bad at night I can't sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Take Tums... i would have a bottle of ultra 1000's with me at all times lol.. heart burn is awful! If you were looking for something more natural you can take papaya enzymes, you can find them at the supplement department of your grocery store and they work equally as amazing. I also would drink a HUGE glass of milk before i went to bed, and that would also help alot!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Thanks I just didnt know if tums were safe to take during pregnancy...and I wish I could drink the milk, but I am taking iron supplements so I can't have dairy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yea.. tums are perfectly safe.. i think i would drink a 1/2 gallon of milk a day lol! i had heartburn from about 18 weeks till dilvery.. it was pretty awful. good luck mama!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• too many tums can make your constipated! ask your OB or MW for a Rx for heartburn relief. thats all that worked for me. I was so glad one my son was born!!!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I found that making sure I drank alot of water would keep the HB to a minimum. And eating like 6 times a day. I noticed when my stomach was empty I would have more HB. I would have breakfast lunch and dinner and have morning noon and night snacks. Tums Smoothies worked the best for me. I also kept saltine crackers with me if it got bad so I had something in my stomach to settle the HB.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Be careful with the tums if you are taking iron supplements and supposed to lay off the dairy. Tums have a lot of calcium in them.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 12:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Don't take too much, if you take Tums. You CAN take them, but all things in moderation. Your diet and activities could be contributing to your heartburn, and you can ease it a lot by cutting those out. Acidic foods (citrus, tomatoes, etc), fried foods, fatty foods, chocolate, etc can all do it. You can keep a food diary to get an idea of what aggravates it for you. Also, try eating small, frequent meals, and make sure to stay upright for at least half an hour (you can sit, just don't lie down) after you eat. Milk may or may not help, it's worth a shot. I had horrific heartburn, and ended up having to take a prescription to treat it, but still had to take Tums to quell the bad flare ups.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I get mine at night. Tums do help.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2009