Any tips on how to stop yelling at the kids?

Lately, my patience has been so short and I end up yelling at my kids. I do feel awful about it and am so ashamed. But, in the moment when I'm repeating myself for the millionth time, I just find myself at my wits end and just let loose. Any tips on how to control my frustration?

And please, no negative responses. This is a very touchy and serious subject for me that I really need help with. Only serious replies needed. Thank you in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you need to get to the sourse of the yelling. Why is it so difficult to control your temper? Is there something in your environment that causes frustration for you that then gets taken out on the kids? Second are your expectations of your kids realistic? A two year old is going to act like a 2 year old not a 10 year old. Know what they are capable of doing both good and bad and you won't get as frustrated when your toddler doesn't behave like a school age kid. Third, can you prevent some of their behavior problems. What is causing them to misbehave? Are they needing more mommy time, are they bored, are there too many rules?

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:13 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sure. The easiest way not to yell at the kids is to take a deep breath right before you address the situation and think about what you are going to say before you say it and remind yourself that you are not going to yell at them.
    YPB2009

Answer by YPB2009 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• mommy time outs!
    i have mommy time outs throughout the day. she sits on the floor watching tv and i step outside to call a gf for a bit and vent, or i walk her to her room put up the gate and bite my tongue the whole time than take a mommy time out. after i've calmed down i try to talk things over as much as i can w/her (shes only 3 so still working on logic..) but ya i must get at least 6 calls a day between my 2 best friends taking their mommy time outs and i must make at least 2 or 3 a day. usually ends up that they call at the same time i was about to call them and one of us is laughing at the others misfortune that day b/c that person has the worst behaved kids of the day.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Actions speak louder than words, spank them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Nail Therapy - If you have a wooden fence around your yard great, if you don't - have your husband plant you a 4x4 post - in cement. Buy a bag of 10 penny nails and a hammer that fits your hand well. When the frustration is getting to you - go out and pound nails into the post. You wouldn't think this works - but it works like a charm. Trick is to not just put one nail in the post then go in and let everyone have it - you keep putting nails in until you feel yourself release the anger. THEN - you commit to not having any conversation about what angered/frustrated you for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour after you've finished the nail therapy - if you don't think you can talk about it even then - you probably need to hammer some more nails.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• read Provers 1-4 to them in their time out!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Proverbs
    lol that is funney pacemyself my neighbors might complain though, I have bad aim!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• if you are really out of your mind go get some fresh air right away and a nature/Our Baily Bread break! rbc.org is a great Christian resource so is newlifelive.com
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Daily Bread, Gods word is more important than food!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• go hit your trash can!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009