What is a good age to start guitar lessons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know for piano lessons it's six, so I would think the same for guitar
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• They need to be a bit older, so that their fingers can press the strings well. My dd's teacher won't take any under 10.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My BIL teaches guitar he "will" do it at age 8 but would prefer them to be around 10 or so
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• any age. you can buy guitars for small children and just let them strum until the fingers adapt. we have found that teachers dont want to deal with inattention from younger students and it's not so much a physical adaptation problem. if the child wants to learn he will at any age. my boy teaches guitar on the weekends and he has a four year old that is learning.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:13 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Any younger age is fine. You will just need to get a child's size guitar. My husband gives lessons and he is teaching our five year old and she is doing very well. We have found that most of the guitar instructors just don't want to deal with the younger ages. For instance, my dd is five, so her lessons are only about 15 minutes, sometimes 10, but she gets so much out of that small amount of time it's amazing.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009