What are good teaching/learning experiences for a 16 month old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• everything! the grocery store (point out colors, signs numbers etc..), at the park point out the animals, in the car point out colors of other cars or the sky and trees. everything at that age can be turned into a learning thing. and if you just point it out and say "see the green car?" its not boredom for them its fun. that is how my daughter learned all her colors and shapes. for her counting and alphabet we just used songs.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Everything you do with a child is learning experience! Talking, singing, meals, bath time, etc. etc. are full of learning experiences. Don't underestimate the power of simple. Don't over think what you do. Present opportunities for new things as your child is ready. Focus on language and growing independent skills. A walk in the yard or around the block, simple picture books, offer crayons or pens and paper, putting things in box and taking them back out, things to push or pull, are just a few that come to mind. Most of all relax and enjoy your child and see the world through their eyes!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 2:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Great advice above. Also - follow her lead. Right now, my daughter is into books...she brings me books ALL DAY LONG...over and over and over again...but she is learning soooo much from them. She had a book about body parts and after a week of reading it over and over again, she can point to any body part you ask her to. Its remarkable. She also points to everything when we're out and about...so I just make sure I name everything for her. She has recently started repeating things back to me (sort of...she makes some of the sounds correctly) but there is clearly a new found interest in language.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009