I have had severe rheumatoid arthritis since I was 5 and I been under every treatment and medicine in the book and my specialist just told me there is nothing 2 do anymore but accept the damage...my question is what treatment do u use or what do u do 2 help? All I have 2 help is pain pills but that only hides pain. I tried humira the most recently and didn't have 1 improvement.....

randiedwards87

Asked by randiedwards87 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Health

• idk if this applies to RA but i have degeneritive disc disease, every disc in my neck is bulging, also in constant pain.. but my dr suggested cortizone shots
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah I have done those and they only help for about a week then actually make me worse and more sore. My neck and knees also are deteriorating and my neck is bad also.
    randiedwards87

Answer by randiedwards87 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I've had RA since I was 5 as well, I've been off my meds for a few years due to pregnancy and BF'ing it's hell and pain but it's worth it.

Have you tried natural supplements?

I use both Omega 3 oil (pill form) and Flax seed oil (pill form) Shark cartilage, and a couple my herpetologist suggests that won't interfere with BF'ing I was told once you start cortisone shots you can't stop? IDK good luck!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No I didn't try herbals cuz of all the horror stories but I have heard about the shark cartiledge. Yeah the cortisons make u worse and need em more so I said it wasn't worth a dr visit every week. I'm not sure how well over the counter stuff would work for arthritis....
    randiedwards87

Answer by randiedwards87 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My mom has RA. She's also a nurse. Almost all the stuff she tried hasn't helped her, prescriptions and etc. She had a patient whose wife, at one point, couldn't even walk upright because her arthritis was so bad. But she started doing this "old wives tale" treatment and it helped her a lot. My mom looked into it some did use a form of this for treatment, so she thought, ok, what can it hurt to try it for awhile, and it's helped her. It's NOT reversed the course of the disease, but it's made things less painful for her.

She soaks a lb of golden raisins in a jar with a pint of gin in it for 10 days. Then she drains the gin off and eats 7 raisins a day, usually before she goes to bed. As weird as it sounds, she said it has helped her - lol - and not because the gin in the raisins get her drunk ;-)

btw - I'm 99% sure it was gin - next time I talk to her I'll ask her to double check.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I asked my mom and she said you're supposed to soak it for 8 days and then drain it and eat 9 raisins a day.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• What about Remicade infusions??? That's what I would suggest to your doc. It's done wonders for some people I know. You get them like every 2 wks, then tapers off to every 4 wks, then every 6wks.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 3:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2009