Geez, it's been hot lately. How do you keep yourself and your kids cool?

In the house I keep the fans on. DD is 8 months so she goes topless (only diaper) most of the time. Sometimes I wipe her down with cool water and giver her a wet cloth to suck on. How do you beat the heat?

momsc

Asked by momsc at 11:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It stays pretty cool in the house. When I take my LO's out I give them a big cup of ice water, bring them pop-sickles every now and then and wipe them down with a wet cloth every so often. They get so hot playing outside, but they hate being inside. I keep them in during the hottest part of the day, and we go out in the morning or late evenings.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We play in the water a lot outside and drink lots and lots of water. Inside the AC is on a nice 76 so I don't worry about it to much inside.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my daughter likes to do what i did when i was a kid. get cloth wet with cold water, place on head, go play. we have fans on for everyone else. we make popsicles and ice pops too.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I keep the thermostat on 70, and I let my daughter run around in a diaper. I also keep all of the fans going. Of course, when we have to go places, there's not much I can do, because none of the AC's work in the cars. I just try not to stay out too long.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• When we lived in Maine and we had no air conditioners, only fans, I used to fill the tub about 1/3 full of cold water with a little warm to it and let the girls just play in the bathtub for as long as they wanted. They brought in some waterproof toys, I lined the floor with old towels, and they would literally spend hours in there!
    During the days I would keep all the blinds shut and have these dual fans in a window of each room. During the day I would have the fan sucking the hot air out of the house while an inside fan (not in window) would be circulating the air in the room. At night we would open the windows all the way and upstairs in the girls bedrooms I would have a fan turned inwards to draw the air in and (their bedrooms were open to each other) in the other bedroom I would have the fan sucking out of the window. Upstairs always stayed cool that way.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009