want to teach address and phone number

my daughter is 3 1/2 she knows her full name and mine and my husbands names. however i would like for her to learn our cell numbers and address (just in case she ever needs to tell someone in an emergency)i've tried to turn it into a song b/c she LOVES music but the fact that the numbers aren't in any "right" order confuses her. any tips or ideas? thanks in advance

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 11:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'd try starting with her birthday. ...That has a number in it that is more directly related to her. Kids are still pretty ego centric at this age. Once she knows her birthday then try one phone number at a time. Even have her dial it so that she can understand it's importance. That it really will work.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• if she is that young I would stick with 911....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Teach just one phone number at a time. For my kids, we broke it down into the first 3 numbers and the last 4.
    To reinforce the address, everytime you pass the street sign, point it out and ask her what it says. Repetition is key at this age.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• she already knows 911 for emergencies at home or if i tell her to call it, but i want her to know my number in case somehow when we are in a store or something we get separated, she knows if that happens she is supposed to go to a cashier and ask for help (i worked retail its amazing how many kids get lost from their parents in just a sec, even the ones that are paying attention, turn away for half a second and they could be gone.) she knows not to leave my side anywhere, but i'd rather be safe than sorry ya know?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009