How can I get my kids to stop fighting?

My baby is not even 11 months and my son is 3 1/2. He hates to share and I understand I don't need to make him share ALL the time, but he gets upset if the baby comes near his toys, whether he is playing with them or not. When she gets blocked from the toy, she gets mad and screams and if he pushes her she tries to bite him. I try to redirect her as much as possible but I can't do it all day! Usually they just play with different things and for the most part leave eachother alone, but I just wish my 3 year old would stop being so mean. It's causing my baby to throw tantrums and bite, he just doesn't understand.

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 11:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep redirecting and making him share sometimes. Make sure that you do the sharing both ways though. My DH had a habit of not making the baby share her toys when they were that young and I put a stop to that real quick. Mine are now 2 and 4 and much better. They still fight, but tell them that if they can't figure out how to play nice then I will take it away and I do. After the first couple times they started figuring out how to play nice. I helped my oldest by showing him that if he has a car and his sister tries to take it get another one and give it to her.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Unfortunately redirecting is about all you CAN do. Toddlers are self-centered little critters who would be onlies if given the chance.

Try to explain to your son that he is the big brother and as such, he does need to share. Expect that you will explain this a dozen times a day for the next year or so. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i have the exact same problem 10 months and 4.... he is nice sometimes, but does not want her to touch him at all! i think we just have to wait it out a bit....
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 1:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• its too bad she isn't a little older. I used to baby sit a pair almost those exact same ages. When they fought over a toy, I'd take it and say "ok now it's my toy." After three or for times of me doing this, they stopped fighting over the toys. LOL their mom still has no idea how it stopped. When I told her what I did, she laughed and said "yeah right, like that works." I wonder how long she'll go before she gives in and tries it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2009