Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

okay i will be 21 in like 7 min and im not sure how to go about finding my birth mother

okay in the state of indiana you must be 21 to find out who your BM. i am now at that age but have no idea how to go about doing it. any help? i know what againcy i was placed through and they said that they would send me some papers via email and i never got them. i also new that my BM left me somethings at the againcy so what am i to do to get them and all that other wtuff any advice would be helpfull

Answer Question

Asked by michelle.coppes at 11:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Adoption

Level 15 (1,968 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • if you know her name check facebook

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • Go to the agency in person to request it.

    Once you have a name, hit google first -- ya might get lucky. If that doesn't work, check the normal networking sites (facebook, myspace), white pgs directories, etc. If that doesn't work, try genealogical sites with her last name.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • well i dont know her name

    Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • You need to check back with the agency.

    Answer by feesharose at 12:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Start with the agency. I know you want it today, and that is great :) Before you go doing double work, see what they have for you. You may be surprised. There is always a lot of paperwork. Her name might be right there. There are these people called search angels. Take the info you get, if it doesn't just tell you what you need, and google your state and search angel for adoption. They will help you, usually for free. They helped me and many, many others here. Please feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll help you. The best of luck!! How exciting! Please let us know how it turns out for you.

    Answer by stillamom1213 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Some of the adoptees in my support group say that had to jump through hoops to get the agency to give them anything. One of them even went down there and refused to leave until they gave him his "non-identifying information", which is what you're entitled to. I suggest a softer approach, but you may have to be very persistent. However, that information is legally yours so don't let them wear you down, wear them down. Hopefully your birth mother left you a name and address, once you have that I advise getting the agency out of your reunion asap. Good luck and Happy 21st birthday :)


    Answer by onethentwins at 2:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • have you tried getting your original birth certificate? I know in some states you can. You might look into that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • be firm with the agency and DO NOT GIVE UP.

    Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • OBC's are available in Alaska, Oregon, Kansas, Alabama, New Hampshire and Maine. Only 44 more states to go. sigh.

    Answer by onethentwins at 4:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I would consult with the adoption agency that handled your adoption for your parents then I would (if you have the resources to) hire a P.I. (private investigator). You can even use what knowledge you've gained and go to to look for birth parents.

    Good luck!!!


    Answer by lilangel2505 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.