Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I get a masters in Counseling, could I then get a Phd in interdiciplinary studies in gender/women studies? Or would it be better to do the gender studies first and then go back and get a second masters in counseling?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in

Answers (4)
  • Actually the head of sociology (my major) at my school said that graduate schools like people who are more well rounded and not always of the same major that they are going to graduate school for. I would talk to your schools counselor or the head of the counseling department :]

    Answer by pookipoo at 12:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Op: I have my BA in psychology and I would like to study gender/wome studies. There are some schools that I can do that at under the interdisciplinary track. I still want to be a certified counselor though. I was just wondering in what order made the most sense being that I can't take them at the same time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I would get your Masters in Counseling and while you are doing that start looking at doctorate programs in women's studies to see what is required. Depending on the counseling program you might be able to gear some of your electives towards women's issues.

    Answer by FL2AK at 2:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Definitely discuss this with your guidance counselor

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.