do you think it is ok to leave 2 children under 12 at the skateing rink with out you staying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• As in you sit and watch, or you leave and go grocery shopping? If you're sitting and watching, and the kids know how to skate, I don't see a problem.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No way! That is just the kind of opportunity child molesters and the like look for.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• no way that is illegal in most states not unless u want lester the molester to have his way with them
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I personally wouldn't. However, if the kids are in a skating class and closer to the age of 12 I would. My oldest daughter took ice skating lessons one year and at the time she was 8.5 and I stayed not only for obvious reasons but because I wanted to see the progression she was making.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• More realistic than child molesters is the fact they may fall and get hurt or push or get pushed by someone. I think 12 is young to leave a a child and friends alone for such an open sports activity where there is no specific adult reponsible (its not like dropping them off for baseball practice where there is a coach, etc.)
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 10:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't leave kids under 12, even though I think you may be referring to Sat morning skates that is for children 12 and under and their parents? I still wouldn't leave them. If mine were 12 or older, I might leave them at an afternoon skate. I remember going to the skating rink alone on a Friday night when I was 13, but I'm not sure how I'll feel when my kids get to that age (mine are 11, 9, 8 and 9 months)

Answer by missanc at 10:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Wow, times have changed. When I was 14 I spent an entire day alone at a Six Flags park with my 12yo brother and our 4 friends. They were 14, 12, 11 and 9. We were dropped off when the park opened at 10am and picked up at 10pm and nothing happened other then a fun filled day of roller coaster riding (and the only way we had of contacting our parents was by pay phone...no cell phones back then). Now kids aren't even allowed to spend an hour at the skating rink. I'd hate to be a kid now a days.
    My friend used to drop her kids off at the local rink every Friday. They had $5 admission that night and the kids (then 12, 9 and 7) would spend 4 hours at the rink. It was her night to relax and we'd go shopping or hang out. I can't imagine one of my kids not being able to handle the roller rink at 12. I would consider myself a failure as a parent if I had to stay and watch them at that age.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Do you think you did a good job teaching them what to do if approached by a stranger or what to do if someone gets hurt? Then leave them. Grown women are raped every day. You can't follow them around forever. Teach them, let them be independent. That is what makes you a good parent.

asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It depends on the type of security at the rink.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I used to go to the skating rink ALL the time between the ages of 10 and 165 without my parents being there.. It was safe, we knew the owners and the doors were locked after a certain time, we weren't allowed to go out unless our parents were there and random people weren't allowed in only parents && other kids. Really wasn't any opportunity for a predator to do anything..
    But that's a small town skating rink for you. All depends on how safe yours is
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009