Did you decide to breastfeed with your second child or bottle feed?

I breastfed my daughter for a little over a year. I am wondering if I should do the same with my 2nd baby (due in April).
I just feel like it might be tougher to breastfeed the baby with my 2 1/2 year old running around the house.
If you breastfed your first, did you do it with your second too? or start using the bottle?
How did it work out (either way)?

(if I use the bottle I do plan to pump)

BelloItaliano

Asked by BelloItaliano at 12:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DS(bf'd) was two and a half when my DD was born I breast fed her, it is not hard he is a wonderful big brother.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i breast fed my second child until he was abotu 6 months and i have a 3 year old. It was actually easier for me because i didn't have to worry about making/cleaning/finding bottles. I could sit in the playroom with my older child and play, read or watch a movie, while the baby ate... i enjoyed it, and my plder child understood that that's how babies eat so he was never concerned about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I BF my LO, and have two older children as well. For me, it's easier. I don't have to worry about a crying hungry baby or the older two while trying to make a bottle. I also don't have to worry about the added dishes the bottles would create.

If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about bottles. Pumping is only going to create more of a hassle then simply sitting down and feeding from the tap. Plus you'd have to pump more often since it doesn't empty the breast as well as a baby does. Since you've already successfully BF'd, i'd go that route again!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Unfortunately it was decided for me. My oldest was a combo because I was working, she nursed in the evening and had bottles during the day when I worked. The only issue it caused was I had to fire a baby sitter who insisted on giving her a bottle at 4:30 when she knew I got off a 5. I had specifically asked her not to.

My twins were born prematurely so they never quite got the hang of nursing. I used a hospital grade pump for 6 months and we alternated bm and formula. Pumping is not as efficient and eventually I dried up. So we went to formula.

In an ideal world I would have loved to bf exclusively.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I explained to mine how she ate and how baby will eat. I think it takes more work to get up and make a formula bottle than to just breast feed. But, I learned with the first that the transition for her was easy and plan on pumping a lot! I like using bottles, but with breast milk.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I breastfed my oldest son for a year. My middle son, Alex, was born just before my oldest's second birthday, and I only nursed him for a couple of weeks. I regret it every day. My third son, Noah, is four and a half months old and is exclusively breastfed. It's really hard to nurse with two toddlers running around, but the bond was so different with my 2nd son... I really wish I would have had a nursing relationship with him. You can make nursing a family time, too -- you can ask your older toddler to help hold him, or burp him, or you can read to your toddler while the baby is nursing.
    pretty_menace

Answer by pretty_menace at 2:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Both mine were breast fed. The first until 18 months when he decided that pregnancy made it taste yucky and my second is still going strong at 26 months. For me using the bottle and pumping would take so much more time and effort then just nursing so it makes no sense, but to each their own. I used a sling and nursed with the LO in that for the first 4 months or so. If you are worried about the older one wondering what you are doing simply explain that is how babies eat and how you fed him/her when they were little too. I am the only nursing mom in our family so my oldest didn't see anyone else doing it, but he also never questioned it when I did. He actually questions other moms who are giving bottles now. I would read books to my older one while I nursed so it was some quiet bonding time for the three of us.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I bf my 2nd, and 3rd, and now my 4th. It's not that much harder, particularly with the 2nd. When you bf and your 2 year old is awake, make that her reading time. She can crawl up next to you and you can read her a book while you bf.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with the other posts that BF the second child is a lot easier with 2 kids! My daughter was also 3 when my second daughter was born. She understands that's how babies are fed, and I think it will give her confidence in her own BF when she has kids.

It also makes you sit down and take a break with your baby! I love it!
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 9:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I had my second when my first was 19 months old, i breastfeed. Yes its harder to do when there's a toddler around but pumping takes up much more time in my opinion.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009