What is the quickest way to clear clutter and clean house?

Parents are coming this weekend for visit. Need to tidy up. Takes alot at times to get motivated for a serious cleaning job. I am a pack rat but need to part with some things and put the things I do have in there place. Okay organizing isn't my strongest point. Need suggestions ladies,please!!!
nan16

nan16

Asked by nan16 at 12:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would just start boxing things up to take the thrift store to donate. Closets are a wounderful thing as well! Plastic totes to put stuff in & toss into the garage or basement. Wish I could be of more help but I think its just going to take some time to do (I know theres never enough time) but seriously I'd just start tossing thigns out the door!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• turn on some music... wait til the beginning of a song, then start at one end of the house.. ( usually start in the kitchen) grab a handful of stuff and run and throw it where it goes. just toss it in the room where it belongs do this until the song is over. then start in the next room pick up everything that doesn't belong toss it where it goes. do this in each room... for 1 song each room. by the time you get done.. the rooms will be a little chaotic, but your main living space will be more organized. then just start in each room cleaning it up. get rid of stuuf you haven't touch/used in 6 + months you won't miss it.I work part time, all day monday and tuesday and half a day friday. i do this every wednesday.. it usually tkaes me an hour or two do my little song game, dust vacuum sweep and mop... while doing laundry in between. my 3 year old knows to keeo the baby occupied while the music is on or someone will get run ovr
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• a match?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Throw things away. I'm sure you have things you haven't touch in at least a year or two. Start with those. The keepsakes go in boxes in storage, have a rummage sale, donate. Just start at one end of the house and work your way through.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I always make a list. To me it helps.

Living room : vacuum floors and couch, put toys away, dust,

Bedroom: clean sheets, make bed, vaccuum, dust, tidy

Bathroom: toilets, sink, mirrors, floors

etc etc... just modify it for your needs. To me it helps put things into perspective, then its easier to check things off my list so I know what I have left to do so nothing is forgotten

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Declutter.asp

OR, for a marathon cleanin session http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyingLessons_crisiscleaning.asp

These are well worth the read and the effort.  Works for me!!!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• lol when we get in a hurry. we throw EVERYTHING in a box and stuff it in the closet.
    and after our family leaves, we open the box and go through them.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 10:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• goodGo room by room.I am a tidy and clean person.My mother who lives with us insists on keeping old and ugly nick nacks and all kinds of stuff.I got 3 hefty bags.Got everything that was old and ugly in a bag and threw it away.We had to get ready for all the buyers coming and looking at our house.Our house is immaculate now.I hate clutter but my mom insisted and I said no.Go to every room in that house and declutter it have a yard sale,donate it or threw it away.Good luck!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I get rid of anything I haven't used in six months. It clears out so much! Only twice have I regretted getting rid of something.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If you need to get rid of things quickly, see if your area has a "Freecycle" I found my area in Yahoo groups but I think you can go to www.freecycle.org as well.
    It is free you just list things that you want to get rid of and members contact you to pick up the items. So far it has motivated me to clean and get rid of things quickly because all I have to do is post the items I have and they are usually gone that day or the next AND I feel like I am recycling and possibly helping someone else out. :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009