What do you consider to be basic human rights?

I'm not talking rights afforded to you by the Constitution or being an American citizen, but basic rights that ALL people, no matter where they live, should have. I'm posting this in P&CE and R&B.

canadianmom1974

Asked by canadianmom1974 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness pretty much covers everything. These are rights everyone should have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• So what if it makes me happy to horsewhip random strangers on the street? I'm looking for real answers, concrete things here. I believe that healthcare is a basic human right. Clean drinking water, adequate food supply. Freedom of religion which includes the freedom to practice it as long as it's not infringing on someone else. And that infringment doesn't mean wearing a religious symbol or clothing dictated by one's religion.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Ah. I see...you're a liberal. Naturally you wouldn't understand the value of the basic rights I listed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• So explain them to me.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• And I guess I am liberal in my thoughts, though I did vote Conservative in our last election.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Gladly.

Life- You own your life. Nobody has the right to take your life or devalue it in any way, and since everyone (ideally) has the right to own their own life, you don't have the right to infringe on someone else's right to life.
    Liberty-- You control your own destiny. You have the liberty to choose your life's path (and that includes practicing religion--or being free FROM religion, if you so choose.
    Pursuit of happiness--You have the right to pursue a better life for yourself and your family, which means you have the right to seek prosperity in any way you choose---so long as it does not infringe upon others' rights.

That's a very basic explanation. There is much more information out there. They ARE concrete rights, and have nothing to do with horsewhipping anyone...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness
    I don't think our forefathers would include healthcare, why?
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Agreed, anon and glickstein. Material needs fall under personal responsibility and community outreach and charity. Not the job of the government. Of course, its not the job of the gov to deliver our packages, and we are still dragging that ship along too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If John Adams said he who does not work, shall not eat? Do you think he would have added, but you don't have to work, and we'll pay your doctor's bills?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Truthfully, for every right there is a measure of responsiblity in maintaining it. Health care is a lofty ambition, but who is responsible for maintaining it? How about education? Should everyone be assured a place in Harvard or Stanford? A liveable wage? What constitutes a liveable wage and how is consistently managed? The list could go on and on of personal opinion of what is a basic right. I think our forefathers said it best. It is up to me to pursue MY life, MY liberty, MY happiness. And in the pursuit remember that I must maintain MY responsibilities without the government interfering or over governing.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2009