my husband is just finishing up schooling and is getting a job as a firefighter paramedic but....

he is thinking that he wants to go to medical and become a surgen in the ER. he works at a hospital so he knows the job... i barley survived him going to school, working at the station and i being alone all the time with our two kids. Is it really worth all the money he would make to not see him for four more years!!?? i love being a mom....but i am so tired with the baby, it affects me too

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 2:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know it sux now, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. It sounds like he's really preparing for you and your children's future. I'd say hang in there. I know it sux to not have him there, but trust me, the payoff in the future is well worth it. It should show you how hard he's working so you can stay at home with the kids.

My DF is looking into going back to school too. He wants better for when it comes time for us to have a little spud or two. Trust me, in this day and age, it's worth the extra education. Also, I'd like to mention if you didn't already know, the health care field is where it's at for long term careers. I just finished my Assoc. in health information/medical records. I'm preparing to further my edu. so I can get a coding career. It's worth it with the competitive job market. You can never be too prepared.
    geminigirl18

Answer by geminigirl18 at 2:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yeah, your right. I just feel like i dont even know him anymore....i am so tired of being poor. he is amazing and i love him, but i was kinda hoping it could be my turn for some schooling now...
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You know that it's more than 4 years that you won't have him, right? He'll have to go to med school and then he'll have to put in serious hours at the hospital doing his residency for a few more years. Maybe you can convince him to take some time off and see if this is what's really in his heart to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• oh wow stressful! I definantly am all for school but one in school takes a toll on everyone. I am in school FT for rad tech. That would be 4 instense years. Now will he work too as he does school? My SO woks so I just do school and the kids and thats hard so can't imagine working and school!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yeah I was thinking med school is more than 4 intense years...OMG I feel for you and yes he will make good money in the end but it will be a journey!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i do credentialing for hospital based physicians, so here's the skinny on the schooling......

You're looking at a MINIMUM of 8 years. i don't know how much (if any) of his GE he fulfilled with the program he just completed, but he will need his BA, which can take 4 years, then med school, which is another 4 years, one year for internship, 4 years residency, and if he wants to become board certified, then another year for his fellowship. so a max of 14 years......

This is a long term investment for your family, yes. but at what cost? i think you need to be open and honest with your husband about your concerns and your feelings of being lonely and overwhelmed.

Maybe you could consider giving the schooling a break for one year, while your family recalibrates and adjusts to your hubby's new schedule. one step at a time.........
    GiacomoRocks

Answer by GiacomoRocks at 6:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009