BIRTH CONTROL OPTIONS?

So I am going to my normal pap appointment next week and I am thinking of changing birth control. I was on the pill for months now but I always forget or take it later on(I am out of pills anyhow). My mom is a nurse and tells me to stay on the pill or get an IUD the ones that have the least problems and side affects. I don't think I want a rod in me! We want to have our second child within the next 2 years. Any advice?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 2:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Health

• Well you could get the patch or nuvaring instead of the pill. They have the same hormones, but different delivery systems and the patch only needs to be changed once a week and the ring is once a month. I personally have an IUD and love it, but they are good for either 5 or 10 years depending on which one you get. They can be removed at any time and your fertility returns almost immediately though. My insurance will not cover having it removed early though. Stay away from Depo or the monthly shot (Lunelle I think) as those have been shown to effect fertility for years and have really terrible side effects.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You have to ask yourself, If I cannot remember to take the pill each day, how will I remember to change the patch once a week or the ring in 3 weeks? Will I remember to take it off or change it on time? What are the problems if I leave it in too long?

What if you find a method to help you remember every day or once a week? If you can be consistant, consider those options then. Personally, I wear a sports watch and I have the alarm go off at the same time each day and take my pill then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Diaphragm: no hormones, no side effects.
    Never caused a stroke, infertility or PID
    Never the subject of class action lawsuits.
    Instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think the patch sounds like something I can remember if I set a alarm on my computer.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Would you ever consider Natural Family Planning?

I am horrible at remembering to take my multi-vitamin, but I always remember to take my temp upon rising. I've been using it for 10 years, have successfully conceived 3 kids, have successfully avoided to space children (my youngest is 4) and have come to discover I'm getting PCOS because of my charting.

No side effects, completely free (except for book and thermometer - one time purchases).

http://tcoyf.com/

The only downside is the wierd look my OBGYN gives me every time I come in for a pap-smear because I'm his only patient who can tell him exactly when I ovulated last. But is that a bad thing?
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 4:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009