Is induced labor worst then regular labor.

Oh god please tell me no. And how long would I have to wait for an epidural?

tremother23

Asked by tremother23 at 2:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• IDK about a epi. I had two induced labors one with Pitocin (SP?) and the other with a pill they cut and place directly on the cervix Cytotec. Induction with Pitocin was terrible I felt like I was idk worse then dieing (no pain killers) only pushed three times though, ripped from end to end. Of course my DS was worth it.

Cytotec on the other hand did not make labor harder, I went through with no pain killers, did not scream (midwife taped labor for edu she was shocked as lol) did not tear and my DD was not doped from the drugs that relieve pain. Cytotec though has dangers, make sure you discuss it with your care giver prior to it's use, my caregiver did NOT tell me of the risks.

I suggest water labor, it helped a great deal.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was induced and it went by fast. didn't ask for the epidural until about 2hrs after he broke my water and by the time they got there to do it, she was crowning. I pushed about 3 times and it was done. If all goes well with this one, I'm going to try to go without again.

They give you an IV with fluids and I ws told I couldn't have the epidural until the drip was done.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I had to be induced 3 times and all 3 times it didn't work.
    There is an IV drug that they can do and its annoying. You can eat at all are you are limited on what you drink.
    They can strip you membrains... it HURTS... or at least it hurt me when they did it.
    They can also give you a pill that is supposed to trigger birth. It made me kinda sick.

Everything they did just made me annoyed and totally cranky. In the end they had to do a c-section because nothing was happening and recovory was the most painful thing ever!!!

Hopefully if you have to be induced it will all work out for you. An epi hurts pretty bad but after its done its done... the only thing that really sucks about it is you have to have a cathider in. You body doesn't know when it has to pee so... either you piss yourself or you go through a tube. Your pick. LOL.

I wish you all the best though!
    Marleys_Mom

Answer by Marleys_Mom at 2:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I had meds to help progress my labor...and no my epidural did not hurt and I got it in plenty of time. And once they give you and epidural you get your catheter...which you cannot feel going in! I was terrified of all pain. and it was all okay! Your nurses and other hospital staff will take good care of you! Just tell your concerns to the nurse and she will be able to answer any questions and put your mind at ease!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was induced with my son and I had to have a c-section when I was listed as "failure to progress". Having a c-section isn't the worst thing in the world and if you understand up front that there are things you won't be able to do right away and healing take time then you'll be ok. Good luck to you Mommy.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank u so much mommies
    tremother23

Answer by tremother23 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• People have different experiences, but I guess I look at the big picture and what the books say.
    Being induced is harder on the body, many women do feel it's worse. Making the uterus have abnormally large contractions can be too intense (for baby, too). Having the epidural *might* help with the pain, but that adds more to the risk "plate".

There are many ways to cope with labor so that it's even comfortable, do-able, and not forced. It is certainly possible to avoid adding unnecessary risks to the baby and to the mom.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Here are the facts, you need to make your decision:

1) Pitocin (the artificial hormone given to induce labor) makes contractions much harder and last longer (in most cases) then normal oxytocin contractions.

2) Pitocin is the leading cause for c-sections in this country because:
    -Most cases mom and or baby are not physical ready to deliver
    - Can significantly reduce the amount of oxygen a baby is getting (look a #1), causing fetal
    distress
    - Is more likely to cause a uterus to rupture (because of #1)

3) That fast majority of inductions are unnecessary and can lead to more medical intervention (such as vacuum extraction, forceps extraction, episiotomies, and c-section)

4) However, there have been many successfully induced labors where no other medical intervention is needed.

5) The epidural has been known to slow the progression of labor

6) The epidural can make y
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 12:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I didn't get to finish my list of pros and cons... But I can if you want.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 12:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009