copper IUD??? anyone??

so .. I am 34 weeks along and my husband and I have decided that we do not want to TTC our next child until Alyson (daughter on the way) is at LEAST 8 months old.. preferably a year. It took us 10 months to conceive her because I had VERY irregular cycles... I think I had the irregular cycles because I had been on BC my whole "adult" life (we conceived our (now Angel) son just 2 months after I went off the pill (back in 2007) and the dr called it "a forced egg")..... then after losing him in Feb 2008, it took us till Jan 2009 to get pregnant.
So, Im considering the copper IUD since its non hormonal and maybe that will help my cycles to get normal before we TTC our next ..
Im curious....who out there has it/has had it? Whats your take on it? what did you experience with it? (when you got it put in/when it was in/and when (if) you got it taken out)....
ANY input is VERY much appreciated!!

SaraM0412

Asked by SaraM0412 at 5:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I will add that with our first I made it to 31 weeks, so that also played a role in my period getting normal too ... I went to a dr and was tested and I do not have PCOS .. they never found anything wrong with any of my hormones or thyroid levels.... The dr used the term "spontaneous ovulation" in reference to how I have cycles... hmmm...
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 5:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Knowing how you feel about the "sanctity of human life", I wouldn't recommend it. It may prevent pregnancy but it may also fail to prevent conception. Thus causing a fertilized egg to be spontaneously aborted. However this is the case with all hormonal or IUC forms of birth control.  I'm sure many will disagree with me but if you research it you will find that it's true. It may not be the primary intent but after all of the other attempts fail (preventing ovulation, changing the cervical mucous, it then creates a hostile environment preventing an embryo from implanting.    It just depends on when you believe life begins.  I believe (biblicaly) life begins at conception (the moment the sperm and egg unite).  Other's disagree with this.  Preparing myself to be challenged :-)

sarabear524

Answer by sarabear524 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• hmmm.. I never really looked at it that way .. but I do get that! oh jeez.. I have some thinking to do now...
    Thank you for your input :)
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009