Would it be wrong to skip a funeral?

It for a cousin with whom I am not very close, although I am close with his parents. It is out of state and my husband would not be able to take off work so I would have to travel/stay with my parents. I have a 5-year-old, an extremely hard to handle 2-year-old without any sense of volume control AND a 7-month-old.

My family is extremely religious (although I am not) and I am afraid my aunt would be hurt if I did not attend. However, I don't want to put my parents and children through all of that stress just to be the lady pacing the parking lot at the funeral home trying to nurse a baby and contain a toddler while the funeral goes on inside.

Would it be in poor taste if I opted not to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have skipped "in town" funerals for people that I would have gone to pay my last respects, except that I had only ONE toddler who would either be disruptive because this was "new" territory or because he'd be seriously in need of a nap during that time. Life changes with children. I am sure that your aunt will understand. Perhaps call in advance and let her know that you are very disappointed that you won't be able to come.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If your aunt asked about it, could you tell her that you "don't want to be the lady pacing the parking lot trying to nurse a baby and contain a toddler while the funeral goes on inside?" If so, I think you can send your condolences, traveling alone with young children is very difficult, and most people understand that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i didn't go to my great-grandmothers funeral. I had just had a baby the week before and the day of the funeral, her eyes were really goopy and her doctor wanted to see her.. as far as i know.. nobody was mad at me but understanding
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 10:13 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• just call your aunt and explain that you would love to attend however, your kids would not be able to handle the situation and you'd have no one to watch them while there. i'm sure she'll understand
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• whtiht the ages your kids are i wount go trust me it wount be good i remaber tiring to take littel kids to a funral it will not turn out goood. i wount go.
    mykids_mylove

Answer by mykids_mylove at 11:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2009