How in the world do you handle watching your father die instead of going to a dr.?

he's 70 & has gave up, he's lost over 100lbs. wont eat anything & wont go to the dr.he's dying right in front of us & wont try & stop it! or even prolong his life. he says "baby girl I'm tired & wanna go home" he means heaven,this is killing me!

tntornado45

Asked by tntornado45 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• First let me tell you I am sorry you are going through this. If it helps to think about it like this it is his body, it is his life, it is his choice. The only thing you can do is be there for him and enjoy him in his own terms. I am assuming that he lived his life the way he wanted, he will end it in the same fashion.

My grandfather went through chemo one time, when the cancer came back he told us, I am not doing it, this is it for me and all I ask of you is that you respect my wishes, no resuscitation and that was it. He made a conscious decision and if it where you, wouldn't you want to be in control of your own destiny? Be there for him, don't waste time being bitter or resentful, just enjoy every second you still have him around and be thankful he isn't in any kind of pain. I hope this helps. Try to talk with a therapist about your feelings, don't let them eat you up inside. Be as supportive as you can.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It is his wish. Respect his wish, enjoy the time you have left with him and grieve with and for him. Keep him near so he is not along when the time comes. LOVE him, you have the time to say goodbye to someone you love, that is a blessing and a curse.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I am so sorry! Praying for you, sweetie!
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank you ladies, you will be in my prayers as well, good day to you all...
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2009