As of today I will no longer have a cellphone....can a parent live without it?

I will save a total of $1,300.00 in a year. The economy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm getting ready to give up mine. DH still doesn't want to - and shouldn't - he works in the oil fields and needs one. But I'm getting so I hate using this thing - it's becoming more invasive than useful. It's like people *expect* that you should answer the phone 24/7 (almost) if they know you have a cell. One of my sisters even said "it's not like you don't have your phone with you" . Ugh. Even if I don't completely get rid of it - I'm going to downgrade to a cheaper model, with only the features that I need (which would just be unlimited text). I think you may have a little withdrawal - but you'll get used to it and probably enjoy not being tethered to it all the time.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes, my parents did it just fine. Enjoy the savings I hope it helps.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Acell phone is a WANT not a NEED. As long as you have a land line(home phone). You will be ok.

Answer by louise2 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm sure it's possible, but would really miss having it for emergencies. Have you looked into a prepaid?

Answer by missanc at 9:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

Yes, but I will wait and see. No need to purchase one right now.

To the poster with the question: Yes I have the land line phone.

OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• holy shit !!$1300.00 a year!! I pay about 130.00 a year I rarely use my cell Only for emergencies so the contract that we had just wasn't cost effective for me. I switched to a trac fone I purchase the double minutes card so when I put 60 minutes on my phone I actually get 120. you can easily just spend on average $10.00 a month if you only use it for emergencies and important calls. Just a thought....

But yes a parent these days CAN live w/out a cell phone.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• holy shit !!$1300.00 a year!!

Yes! My dh husband made the foolish decision of signing a 2 year contract with a company that offered mail and internet connection. He sign for 2 phones after two long years. I said to him that if he didn't stop it I would no longer be able to prepare his fave dishes.

He luckily gets a phone from his company with all the features. So both were lucky in that sense. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Of course you can! I have a 12 yr old and just got a cell phone a year ago. It's convenient but not terribly necessary. Ask yourself this - how many times have you gotten a call on your cell that was TRULY an emergency - like you needed to be somewhere immediately and things would have turned out differently if you hadn't been contacted right away.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sorry you miss understood. " As long as you have a land line(home phone). You will be ok". Was not a question.

Answer by louise2 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have a cell phone but I RARELY use it. In fact, most of the time I keep it at home. To me, a cell phone is for emergencies, not for chit chatting while you're driving or shopping or in a restaurant. If someone needs to talk to me, they can call me at home, or at my mom's, or at work.
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2009