Is an impending international trip a good reason to put off plans for another baby?

DH and I were going to try for our second child in September, but last week learned that his brother is planning to get married in Greece next July. We don't want to travel so far while I'd either be 9 months pregnant or with a new born baby. We're planning on leaving our son with my parents while we go on the trip. I wouldn't be able to leave a new little baby for that long while I go that far, and I don't want to travel so far away from my doctors while pregnant either.

We decided we'd have to wait and maybe we'll try to get the most out of our trip by trying to conceive while in Greece instead. I feel sort of sad that I won't be pregnant this fall and it is going to space our children out a lot more than I had hoped for. Our son would have been almost 2 when the second was born, now he'll be almost 3.

Do you think this is a good reason to put off a pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes I do think it is a good idea For all of the reasons you listed. Take this trip ebjoy yourself and have a second honeymoon.
    I applaud you for thinking a head good job momma
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think it's smart. I doubt any airline would let you fly if you were nine months pregnant. Also, handling a two year old and a newborn on an international flight would be my idea of Hades. I flew to Atlanta with a two year old and a six month old and was ready to jump off the plane!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 10:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes that is a great reason. My son and daughter will be 8 years apart. Talk about an age gap. Can you imagine the stress you'd feel being pregnant or a new mom at that time instead of enjoying the sights and culture of Greece? Come on! Go for the trip. Plan a baby then. Go for it. What a wonderful experience that would be.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Aww, that kinda sucks, but you know you are doing the best thing for your family by waiting.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 11:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2009