So tired of the crying...

All I hear all day is crying...And I mean alll day. My newborn never cries but my 13 month old never stops! He just whines and cries all day. I know the new baby is a change but we have made very little changes in the household as far as our 1st son is concerned- everything is the same for him except Daddy changes his diapers now.
I dont know what else to chalk it up to. And I can't remain sane hearing it! What can I do? I've done the Momma time out thing, I've tried letting family take him out (which ends up making me feel like a bad Momma)...everything.
Any suggestions?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 9:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is an only child and this is how he's always been and STILL is at 21 months. It gets SO OLD... I am so tired of it too.. someday s are better than others but even a good day he crys and whines like 6-8 times a day .. that's a GOOD day.. this morning he cried for oh... the WHOLE morning.... and this is typical. I don't know.. My peds asy he's medically fine.. I don't tolerate it so I don't know why he's like this.. .makes me very sad that I can't enjoy being a mommy as much as some epople do..I mean,. I love him with all I have but I hate that this is Normal for us...this is the reason he WILL BE AN ONLY child - I can't do this again..... I don't know mama.. good luck - email me if you ever want to vent - I at least can relate!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It is classic. and although you think nothing has changed everything has changed for him. daddy and family members are not mommy and this new baby has made it so he has to share you and he is not happy. try making about a half an hour a day maybe during newborn naps where its just you and him time like play with toys or watch a movie. and once or twice a week if possible just go out the two of you. and also try including him in caring for the new baby so he feels like he is apart of the process. like handing you clothes and diapers for the baby. or patting baby's back while you hold it.
    ashgrant19

Answer by ashgrant19 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with ashgrant. Everything has changed for him. I also have a 13 month old, and I can't imagine how terrible he'd be if we had a newborn too (I can imagine how crazy I'd be). He's in the seperation anxiety phase, and with that, there is also a clingyness to mom. I can very seldom put my son down to play, and walk into another room, because he gets really upset that he can't see me. If I leave him with someone else, he will be fine for a couple of minutes, then scream for the rest of the time I am gone, and as soon as he sees me walk back through the door, he stops. So, besides having had everything change, your son is also going through a normal stage, which is probably making things worse. I would suggest trying to do special "mommy and son" things with him while the baby is sleeping. Maybe once in a while, leave the baby with dad, and just take your older son somewhere. He's also got to get used to you...
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 11:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• taking care of the baby, so maybe find something he really likes to do to keep him occupied. It's a good age to try coloring, if you don't want to use crayons, try those magna doodle type toys. If all else fails, it's ok to distract him with cartoons with lots of singing and colorful characters. Good luck!
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 11:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2009