What does this quote mean to you, and do you agree or not and why?

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means."

– George Bernard Shaw

Do you think more often than not people tend to search the Bible to find verses to validate how they think or feel about certain issues and too proove themselves right out of pride? Do they tend to twist meanings instead of actually praying for the meaning to be revealed TO them?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What I get a kick out of is the christians that use certain verses--out-of-context--and call it truth. But when we quote their book back at them they declare that we're taking it out-of-context, as if it is a bad thing. One rule for them and another for us. Seeing an imaginary speck of dust in our eyes as they ignore the plank in their own. They are like ventriloquists speaking for the divine--god's will always seems to coincide with their OWN will. They give proof every time they preach that god is not our creator. WE are his!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh yeah, definitely. If the bible is the truth, then there should only be ONE truth...since it comes from ONE God...but people need to believe that their god agrees with them, or that the feelings they are having are from God, so they "misinterpret" the bible to fit their lives.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• so very true...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't mean that everyone does this, but I have seen many, many times even Pastors twist words of the Bible in order to fit THEIR beliefs. I think every religion is guilty of this some of the time though because everyone has that deep need to be right- no one wants to be wrong and what better way to proove your right than to quote scripture?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The most used phrase I hear from Christians that I know IRL is "I think God would do *this*", or "I think God would see it *this* way". I don't understand how someone can actually seriously believe God thinks a certain way just because they HOPE he would! That's ridiculous. Either we don't know, or there is one definite answer. If there's a God, his opinions don't change based on the way someone hopes he would react...yet so many people live their lives following a God that they themselves have created in their minds. This is why everyone thinks God is perfect! Of course he is, if you've imagined him to agree with everything you think!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yep, I do. I think if they didn't inherently twist things to their own desired meanings, then everyone would agree on one bible interpretation. I don't mean that they do it maliciously or anything, I just think most view the bible through a prism of their own experiences and morals.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• YES..and that goes for both sides of the belief-fence.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Absolutely. Otherwise there wouldn't be 10,000 different Christian denominations.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes, it does happen. Many people get in their heads a particular theory or way they want it done and then go looking for something to back it up. They desire to say its from GOD instead of just admitting its coming out of their own nasty heart condition. Our goal, as christians, should be to go looking for Gods heart and Gods Truth and his way and not our own. Its hard sometimes to distinguish the difference.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• HA! i love that quote...made me laugh out loud

i cant name a service during my childhood that i didnt hear someone mis-use a verse or use it to verify their own personal thoughts. if a kid can tell someone is using a verse just for themselves, what makes them think no one else can tell?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2009