Moms of Lefties

Do you notice any of the stereotypes about left handers such as being good at puzzles, sports, and having artistic ability to be true about your child? Also did you buy left handed scissors for them or just have them learn to use regular scissors?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 9:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I did buy left handed scissors. And to the rest no. Did not see that stuff. I did not know those things were stereotypical of lefties

Answer by louise2 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• out of my mothers 9 kids 3 of them were lefties. they never got special scissors ( I don't think they made them back then) all of my moms kids are equally creative and artistic
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My middle son was a leftie, before he went to kindergarten and they "corrected" him. Now he's ambidextrous, but instead of being artistic and creative (as is the stereotype of lefties), he is extreme in the opposite direction - all math and science.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I do not have a left handed child, although I tried, LOL. I am a lefty though and I am good at puzzles, and crochet (artistic ability) but sports, pffft. I never had left handed scissors because they didn't make them then. I am amazed today at all the gadgets they have for lefties now, but I've learned to do most things right handed over the years so they are of no use to me. I write and hold my fork with my left hand, but throw a ball and crochet with my right.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Im a lefty but my ds isnt. I use right handed scissors with my left hand. I bowl right handed. Eat left handed.. I guess Im pretty ambidextrous since I grew up in a right handed world. I still HATE spiral notebooks though and writing on a chalk board.. (I always ended up partially erasing what I wrote as I was still writing.. lol)
    Artistic? Perhaps some.. I love the arts though and love to collect artwork. Love music and theater. Sports? Never was good at them. I love reading and literature. I could spend hours reading. I also like to write.
    If I had to classify myself I would say I fall into the Arts, Music and Literature classification
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 10:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I havent noticed any of those "stereotypes" being true with my son, he is now six years old. Also I havent bought him a special set of left handed scissors to use, he uses the same as everyone else.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My son hasn't shown a dominant side yet. I think he was headed toward lefty, but his OT dove right in forcing him righty. (she is gone now..not even in OT any more thank goodness) His new OT had scissors that could be used right or left handed, no special ones.

He automatically holds a bat lefty, he kicks with his left foot. He picks utensils (writing or eating) up with his left than places them in his right (thanks evil OT). He eats finger foods with his left or with both. He does do better with writing or cutting with his right, but he was never before given the chance to use his left (clarification....I let him call the shots, but his evil OT was forcing it right so he started the picking up with left and placing in right thing)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My oldest son is a lefty, and my younger son is a righty. I would say that my younger son is going to be more artistic, and more into music. My older son is more logical and analytical. He's only just started doing puzzles, and is pretty good at them, but I don't know that he is any better than his brother.

As far as scissors go, they both use the same kind. So far I have not bought him anything that is made specifically for left-handed people.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my son i think is a lefty and hes too little to know about sports and puzzels and such hes only 2 but im not sure if he is a left cause his dad is lefty and i am too so i dont know if he realyl likes using his left hand or if he just sees both of us do it and assumes its the way to do it.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 10:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm left handed and have a left handed child. I suppose I'm artistic mentally, but I am not quite able to produce anything artistic. My left handed son is not much of an artist (but my right handed daughter is very talented). I was very good at sports. My son is still young and fairly awkward when it comes to sports.

Neither of us use left handed scissors. We both cut with our right hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2009