Would you send your kids to Atheist camp? (obviously NOT for believers)

Dallas Mother Organizes Atheist Camp For Kids

There are Christian camps, Jewish camps and now there's a camp for those who question religion. Local atheists and other non-believers are organizing the first camp of its kind for kids in Texas.

http://cbs11tv.com/local/atheist.atheist.camp.2.1132718.html

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that what makes it important is not the lack of belief in god but the common experiences these kids go through in a largely christian area when you're atheist. I'd imagine an atheist in the bible belt faces very unique issues and an atheist camp would give a place where it's okay to say "Hey, I know what you're talking about. I get teased/judged/preched to too."
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Hmmm...interesting. I always considered my atheism very apathteic.

"i don't beleive in anything, thats it" I woldn't waste my time on a camp.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 9:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Why not. Not everything needs to have religion stuck in it.IMO

Answer by louise2 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sure! That would be great.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Would it be good for children of Atheist backgrounds to be together at camp because they have similar non-beliefs? I mean they wouldn't have to fear being ridiculed for not believing in
    God and could just have fun.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• IMO, as a kid sent to camp every summer and a camp counselor for four summers at Girl Scout Camp, I think the camp experience is about meeting a variety of new people and doing a variety of new things and having a variety of new experiences independently, where you can learn to make your own judgments without impunity. I don't think you can do that as well in a place full of like-minded people...which obviously would scare the crap out of some parents, that would NEVER let their child go to anywhere and experience anything that did not adhere to their specific ideology.

If I were atheist, I don't think I would--being Pagan, I wouldn't send my kids to a Pagan camp...UNLESS they expressed a desire to do so. I'd just send them to a non-religious sponsored camp.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't but only because where I live my atheism is just not an issue. We yankees tend to mind our own damn business...lol. But I can TOTALLY see the need for it in Texas or anywhere in the bible belt.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think it's a good idea where it's needed. I live in a very conservative, Christian state. We are by far, the minority in our Atheist beliefs. But I don't think I'd send my kids to a camp; but I'm not one for camps in general anyway.
    My kids HAVE to learn tolerance of others; especially living here. They HAVE to learn to hear to comments from the Christians (Which we are already dealing with( and how to learn what they themselves believe in. Because while my DH and I are atheists, my children are free to discover their own beliefs.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yay Texas!
    do11face

Answer by do11face at 10:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sure.

From what I could gather, it's not a big "religion bashing session" or anything like that... just a daycamp with an absence of religion. I really like that they focus on science activities, too. Being a homeschooler, I'm always looking for stuff like that.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2009