Do scales lie?

Monday my scale said 174. Tuesday my scale said 172. Today my scale said 171. Do I believe it or not? Of course I like the number it is telling me but 3 whole pounds is crazy! I have been watching my calories extra close and being the strictest I have ever been. I was expecting maybe a pound and a half but 3! I made sure the scale was directly on the 0. I stepped off and on like 5x to make sure it was telling me the truth! I weigh myself every morning after I pee and on an empty stomach. Is it true? Did I really lose 3 lbs in 2 days? Can scales sometimes lie?!

annamcg18

Asked by annamcg18 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Health

• you're weight usually changes on a day to day basis. so it could be numerous things, you may have been a little bloated now you aren't, you could have lost the weight, you could have had full bowels the other day and today don't. i've never had the same weight on a day to day basis. usually goes up and down by about 5 lbs.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yes you could have. I weigh myself after i use the bathroom and everything too. Weight seems to fluctuate so i try to weigh myself once a week.. try.. but than i get to anxious that happens rarely
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 9:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes it lies. The way your cloths fit does not. As in if they are loose or tight.

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• People naturally fluctuate up to 5 lbs. You are in the same range, so it sounds reasonable. I wouldn't say you lost weight, I'd just say you are probably in the 170-175 range.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• if it's lying, can I have your scale? =)
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 10:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Three pounds is a perfectly reasonable fluctuation. So many different issues to consider with these small fluctuations, such as those mentioned above with water and bowels. Another good way to really get an accurate picture of how your weight loss is progressing is measurements. Measure wrist, ankle, chest at maximum point, waist, hips, etc., and compare these measurements over time in conjunction with the reading on your scale.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• when we lose weight, the first thing to go is water weight. Not all of that weight you dropped id pure fat. You probably lost a lil muscle, & a lil water. Also, woman fluctuate more than men do. We retain water more during out time of the month also. It would be best to weigh yourself once a week, at the same time every day to get a true reading of how much you lost. ALSO, the more water you drink, the less water your body will retain & you can lose a lil extra pudge that way. If we dehydrate ourselves, our body gets smart....it holds onto every bit of water possible just in case. So, drink plenty of water, it will help you lose more fat....& not just your water reserve.

You must be real tall.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• you are very pretty by the way!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2009