Swine Flu & Childcare?

There have been some outbreaks of Swine Flu in schools & daycares in our state (Louisiana). I usually try and get to the gym everyday, where I leave our son in the gym's childcare for about an hour, hour & 1/2. I'm going to ask them today about what they're doing to prevent the spread of germs on top of what they usually do, but would you forgo the gym totally? I'm a stay-at-home-mom and the gym is my only break/shower time; not to mention my son loves the childcare room & workers! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can not live in fear.

Answer by louise2 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• honestly if its already in your area, than he'll be exposed to it unless you stay in your house w/a can of lysol. just make sure he's healthy now, (no sniffles etc) so it isn't as easy for him to get sick. and if theres a bunch of sick kids there, obviously just turn around and go home. as you said the majority are in daycares now, but that means that those kids are at doctors offices, grocery stores, and who knows where else that you guys could be exposed to it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh, just wanted to add - I wash my hands before picking him up from the care center and have been wiping his little hands down with wipes afterward as well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• dont let the hype scare you! the regular flu is just as dangerous, if not more.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You're listening too much to the hype. Do you keep him in a bubble during the regular flu season?

Just do what you normally do during the regular flu season. If you've noticed, the media only brings up the swine flu again when there isn't much else in the news.

It's no more serious than the "regular flu". It's just a different strain. More people die from the regular strains than swine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Honestly, I wouldn't even ask them about what they do. Unless you are concerned tht they don't do anything... But there is no extra set in child care. It should be all or none. They should was their hands, cleant he diaper area, clean any messes, etc. That should be expected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009