How do you feel about the option to Virtual school your child?

This is a new form of public schooling. Your child has all the assistance of qualified teachers but your child is taught from home over the internet. You have field trips at local places so you children still have interaction. 23 states offer this option for you to choose from.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• that sounds really cool! like homeschooling but with backup!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i've noticed my daughter learns better when she can participate in something, rather than just looking over something. i'm the same way, so i wouldn't consider it an option for her. i think she'd do better in a classroom setting, unless for whatever reason i felt the school she was supposed to be attending was not safe at all, than it would consider it but it would depend on a number of factors. its a great idea for some people,for others it just wouldn't work.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my cousin lived with us for a while and did this schooling. the ony thing is, its like home-school you HAVE too make sure they stick with it. Now when she lived with us she was like 16, so she messed around too much playin games or chatting, mom pulled rank and blocked just about everything else on comp. I think its really how each child can handle it. I personally plan on homeschooling, so maybe when kids are older I might use this type of work.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would be interested to know how the curriculum stands up to other home school curriculum and also the the public school's curriculum. I am sure they still concentrate on teaching them to test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I considered it, but after asking some other moms who have used it...I realized it wasnt anything but public school. My reason for wanting to homeschool or private school is to get away from the public school, not to bring it home with me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I did college on line for my associates and think it's a great option-- for college. Heck maybe even for HS kids who have issues with going into the school. I think the little ones need the social interaction.
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 10:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It depends on what type of learner your child is. Audio, visual, hands on..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would rather my kids be IN school :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have friends who have used it successfully. One used it for all five of her kids, the oldest who is now going to college.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• LOVE it! We are entering our second year of virtual schooling right now. My son has ADHD and it is awesome for cutting down on the distractions that come from having many many children in the classroom, yet he is able to socialize with the various activities and clubs. He also has the option to play sports and any other activities through the brick and mortar local school that may interest him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009