What to feed my 14 month old?

My ds is 14 months old and still on jarred baby food. I only occassionally give him toast and puffs. I have tried giving him little pieces of what I am eating, but I am super afraid of choking becuase he gags a lot when I feed him finger foods and throws up. At his last dr visit I expressed my concern with choking, hoping she would ease my concerns, but instead she said that he could even choke on the puffs and that I should break them up. He is also underweight, so I don't want to give him finger foods if he is going to throw up. I would rather stick with the jar food so that he will gain weight. But now at 14 months I feel a little rediculous that he is not on a solid diet. BTW- this is my 2nd child, and 1st was fine with finger foods, so it's not a first-time-mom issue. I need advice. PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used the food chopper to make puree out of whatever we were having for dinner. I assume you know nothing too spicy! I am concerned that at 14 months he is choking on puffs! I think I would get another doc to look at him, you didn't say if he had teeth or not, but it seems like he should be able to handle finger foods by now. You mentioned that he was underweight, what does the doctor say about that? Is he still taking a bottle? I would maybe mix some formula with his milk, so you could be sure he is getting enough calories, but I would totally get a second opinion! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He can eat whatever you eat. Just cook noodles and veggies softer for him than for you and watch how spicy the food is and he should be fine. My 14month old eats anything from pork chops to steak to grilled veggies to pasta to hot dogs, etc. Whatever I eat, he eats.

However if he doesn't have teeth meat might be hard to mash so I would make sure it was very tender before giving it to him. Also just make sure everything you serve is cut up small and only give a little at a time(if you are letting him self-feed with his fingers or a fork/spoon)
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 10:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My advice is, if you never give him the chance to eat it he is never going to get used to it! My daughter was on table food at 9 months, if i was eating it she was eating it. The only thing i dont give her is steak and thats because she cant chew it! and she only has 6 front teeth 4 on top and 2 on bottom, no back teeth. So i would just make sure it is cut up small enough, and hes NOT choking, unless he is turning blue and not breathing hes not choking, he is gaging. I used to say that about my daughter and the dr corrected me. so most likely he will gag it up and be fine! you just have to keep trying start with foods that much easy like mashed potatoes, broccoli, really over cooked carrots, and noddles. But keep trying on he wont get used to it. good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He's gagging because he wasn't given the chance to learn how to eat real food yet, I think. They have to gag to learn how to clear their throat if food gets stuck. IT's different than choking. He's vomiting probably because he has a sensitive gag reflex.

Start giving him real food, the same stuff you're eating. Let him start learning to eat.

Some kids have a more sensitive gag reflex than others. They just need a little more time to learn how to eat, but there is no reason based on what you've written here that he shouldn't be eating food now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My son has issues with textures. He's a little younger, but has gotten better with stage 3 baby food and the Gerber Crunchies (which are expensive, but he will eat them!). The crunchies dissolve quickly while giving babies practice chewing. Good luck - and yes, noodles & cooked veggies may be good as well. He just may be a late bloomer with the food!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My 15 month old son still eats some baby food. I usually cook several items such as chicken, lima beans, brown rice and put it in the food chopper then use the baby food (such as sweet potatoes) into the chopped stuff. He loves it this way. I think it's a happy medium between baby food and solid foods. And I also can be sure that he is getting a well balanced meal.
    caroline123

Answer by caroline123 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009