Why do people say boys are easier to raise?

This question is inspired by another post from a woman who felt disappointed by having a boy instead of a girl. A lot of people claimed that boys are easier to raise. I hear that alot but don't understand it. Now, I realize children are individuals, but speaking VERY stereotypically the only thing that I can see harder about raising girls is that the tend to be more emotional, which I kind of think is a good thing cause you can also be more open and closer with them. But with boys...they are more likely to act up in school, break things, get in fights, be emotionally distant, wreck the car. Mothers claim that they love their mommies so much, but most adult women I know tend to remain closer to their families than boys. How is it that raising the half of the population that is more likely to grow up to be rapists, murderers, and war mongerers easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think they just say that because girls have attitudes from the day they learn to utter their first word.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Women rape, murder and fight in wars. Personally, my son was a ton easier than my daughter, and my son and I are very close, he's almost 16. Are you looking for a fight?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i think girls are harder when they hit preteens/teens then ill switch for a boy lol
    onehotmama2lil1

Answer by onehotmama2lil1 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I know that my daughter has been more of a "drama queen" from day 1. I find it humorous, because her highs are SO high, and then there are the days when everything is just "terrocious" (her word). My boys just kinda go with the flow and don't ask questions, they do their chores without complaining and they generally don't rock the boat.
    I do think that in general women are more likely than men to stay close with their families as they get older, but I hope that my sons and I continue to have good relationships and can buck that trend. I don't know which is "easier" but it's amusing the see the differences.

Answer by missanc at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I've heard that too. I think it has to do with girls being very emotional and girls having to deal with puberty in a much different way than boys. You also run the risk of the girl getting pregnant (which I think is very 1900 way of thinking! The boys is just as guilty and they should deal with the issue together) and then dealing with that. Typically, the girls family pays for the wedding. Then girls tend to be more expensive as they want to go shopping and get shoes and make up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Girls go thru hormones every month. Girls can get pretty mouthy with their parents and a lot of girls I knwo tens to butt heads with their mothers way more than the boys do
    I hear stories at work from the women who have girls.....I thank GOD I do not have any girls. Give me boys any day of the week.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I hear this a lot too, and now that I have a boy and two girls I have to agree. With girls you have all kinds of battles that you just don't have with boys. Girls are more complicated than boys in a lot of ways; boys tend to be easier to understand. Girls are more likely to argue with you about every little thing even when they are toddlers, and then when the hormones hit they can be pretty impossible. Pre-teen and teen girls are a LOT MEANER to one another than boys are - boys get in physical fights and then it's over, but girls can make life misserable for one another by saying mean things, spreading rumors, and excluding other girls from the "in" group. Every mom I know who has boys and girls says the boys are easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It's amazing how different they are. My kids are night and day. My son is the mellow easy going one, for the most part, and my daughter is the drama queen. I wouldnt' change either one of the for the world lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I said that because its true. I have 2 boys and 2 girls and my boys dont fight, break things or steal anymore than my girls do. My boys are so sweet. Boys will crawl up in your lap and say "I wuv you mommy" and girls have to be bribed to do that. Mine anyway. Once they hit about 8 or 9, they consider you the enemy. Boys love mom to pick out their clothes and in fact wont get dressed unless Ive picked them out. Hes afraid he wont match because he knows how important it is to me. That or hes just lazy. Boys do tend to be less independant, but for a mom that likes that, its okay. My boys dont care what theyre wearing, they just want to have fun. Now granted any perspective is going to come from wherever you are. My girls are 15 and 11 and Ive seen the literal worst of them. The moods and the tempers and the battle over clothes...UGH. My boys are 7 and 3 and theyve never given me a problem. The verdict is still out on the 3 yr old
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh and I am very close with my father. I think that youre right about girls wanting their mommies, but thats half the problem. Fathers are SUCH an important role in a girls life and they are missing in most womens lives. My dad and I are much closer than my mom and I. Her and I have butted heads from the time I was about 9. So again, its perspective.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2009