How do I reconnect with a family member?

I want to reconnect with my cousins who I haven't seen in many many years.
When my uncle died, my father and aunt (his sister-in-law) had a huge falling out. My cousins were young at the time (10 &8) I was about 19 years old. They lived in NY we lived in NJ. Needless to say that rift cause use to loose touch. I went to college, worked, started a family. I remember sending an invitation to my wedding to my aunt and cousins, but it went unanswered. Before my father passed away, he tried connecting with them. It failed. They would be in there 30's now and I'm in my 40's. The age gap is not so bad at this age. I would really like to get to know them. I did some research online and might have their address I want to send a letter. What should I say? "My name is ___ and I'm your cousin" sounds corny. Any suggestions?

Scrapymom3

Asked by Scrapymom3 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• Or you could see if they have a facebook or myspace, that's how I found my long lost family. We exchanged a few messages and then phone numbers. Starting a letter with your name and the fact that you are their cousin isn't corny, it's a fact. Good Luck.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• corny is good. That's what I did when I found my grandson on myspace. His mother ran off with him 17 yrs ago. I was afraid the shock might upset him but he was ok with it. I feared he might reject me thinking we stayed away on purpose (not true) but it all worked out well. I did it so now you do it?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009