My son loves his kitten, I hate it. What should I do?

This animal is absolutely horrible! It climbs my curtains, poops over the edge of the litter box, and scratches the crap out of everything(including my legs!). I need to get rid of this cat, but my baby loves her so I don't know what to do. I don't really like animals in the first place and it doesn't help that this one is a disaster. The baby is only 1 but he really does love his kitten, if you saw them together you would know. I feel bad about it but I can't stand the cat pulling on my curtains and making a mess of everything. Should I just get over it and do it for the baby or get rid of the cat and hope he doesn't notice too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He's only 1, even if he notices it won't be for long. Find a GOOD, LOVING home for the kitten. You aren't doing it any favors by keeping.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You can get a litter box with a lid. You can get em at walmart for like $10. it also helps with the smell. Kittens are naturally playful. It will calm down the older it gets. You can get him fixed and declawed if he stays inside. That will helps with calming him down and see if he can scratch without those claws lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• declaw the cat.. or here is a thought be smarter about buying an animal.. if you dont like animals should NOT have even got one to start with! and you know all the animals sitting in a shelter just for that reason cause you took on something you shouldn't have and now vs having that animal have a good home he would sit in a shelter(idk how people dont like animals personally)de-claw it and train it .. you took on a responsibility when you were full aware you don't like pets .. you made your bed now lie in it
    onehotmama2lil1

Answer by onehotmama2lil1 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with trying a covered littler box. I also agree that declawing is a viable option. If you are not one for declawing then try setting up several scratching post and using cat nip to lure him to them. a squirt gun is also a great teaching tool for most cats. If you really are just ready to be rid of the cat then I also agree that your child would only notice for a while. If you want any other advice pm me and I'll do what I can to help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He's 1, he won't notice. I"d recommend taking the cat to the vet and ask for some advice. You may declaw or have other options to calm him down. Or you may try another cat or a dog or something from the shelter. Ask the shelter too. THey may have tips or maybe can recommend an older animal that isn't as hyper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• why did you get the kitten? ..some people :-(
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• wow to prev post......i think she likes animals but this on is a lil crazy........TAKE A CHILL PILL....i would find it a home and get another cat find a UGLY one i found that they are the come ones the CUTE one are CRAZY i have a uglyl cat and a cute cat and the ugly is calm the cute is crazy.....and it hasnt been with just these two cats cuz ive had about 15 and all the ugly ones were calm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ~#1 Hey, ugly cats are calm. My mom has the ugliest cat I have ever seen and it just sits around all day, mine is super cute and insane! LOL

~#2 If I decide to get rid of her she will not go to a shelter, I will find someone to take her.

~#3 The spray bottle does NOTHING, she runs away and comes back to resume being bad within 30 seconds.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• EEK Our cat was a terror for over a year! I don't know how old the kitten is, but spayin usually helps a bit, it seems it is loving towards your son, and if you are not an animal person, it is hard to get used to. I think you could wait it out, and the cat might end up being your new best friend {in a year or two} LOL! If you are going to have a pet, maybe get an older cat from the shelter that is better suited to "chilling" Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Try declawing and fixing the cat. Then she wont be able to scratch things or climb the curtain. I always use a covered little box so that nothing gets outside the box. My daughter is 2 and our cat died a couple of months ago. My daughter was so upset that her cat was gone I had to go get her another one.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2009