My child is 11 months old, can we switch to milk now?

We will be out of formula in about 2 weeks, if we buy more it will leave us with a surplus once she turns 1- and I'd really prefer to save the money. Could I switch her to whole milk in 2 weeks? Or could I start mixing milk and formula now to make it go longer?

She currently gets a well balanced diet of solid foods.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mix the formula with milk that is what i would suggest so she has all the nutrients she needs till she hits 12 months
    onehotmama2lil1

Answer by onehotmama2lil1 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If her "solid" foods are table foods, sure, make the switch. If she's still eating baby food, talk to your pediatrician first.

(but then, that's the best thing to do anyway)

There's nothing magical about the day they turn one. But they should have a fairly balanced diet of table foods for their nutrition before formula or breastmilk is removed as their main source of nutrition. (that's per our pediatrician though)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:33 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• mixing the formula with milk might also help her transition to the taste as well

Answer by missanc at 10:33 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Talk to her pedi, my sons been on cows milk since about 7 months since at that age he started to refuse drinking formula (tried several different ones), i switched to cows milk without mixing and my son did fine with it. To be honest, it still gets pretty pricey having your lil one on cows milk, my son goes through 3-4gal a week, and thats only him drinking it. If her diets balanced and will work with cows milk, then go for it. My son is almost a year aswell, he will be a year in two weeks.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 10:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If you wait two weeks, then really you're so close its not going to make a huge differnce. If you start mixing now, like 1 or 2 oz with formula it'll help the transition, of course just keep an eye out for allergies, but momma knows best, if you think she's ready, then go for it.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• go ahead and switch what i did in my house was implement a rule that milk goes in cuppys and formula in babas so we got some soft nipple sippys and when he wanted milk it came in a cup and milk tastes so much better than formula that babas adnd formula were gone in like 2 weeks
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 11:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My daughter will be 11 months next week. I have this to think about too. I'd have to mix pumped breastmilk with whole milk
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009