No poop for 2 1/2 days...???

My DD hasn't had a bowel movement is over 2 days. She's 3 months old. Mostly breastfed, with formula from time to time (Similac Advanced. She takes it fine.) She's happy as ever and doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. She's passing a lot of gas. Her belly isnt' hard and she isn't running a fever. Her doctor can't see her for 2 more days. Should I take her to the ER? It just seems so wrong, since she's perfectly happy. But I certainly don't want it to damage her. I hate the idea of doing an enema. Only because she's passing so much gas. It seems like she's going to go soon...

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 11:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is mostly breast fed, she may not have a BM for 4-5 days. Formula has additives in it that don't digest where as breast milk does not so less poop.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• oh! wow, i feel bad for not knowing that. thank you so much.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Because we 'go' everyday, it seems unnatural for an infant to NOT go. It's a common misconception. If we never ate 'fillers' then we'd rarely go as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That is completely normal. She will go when she needs to. If it had been 5 days you might worry or if she was crying like she was hurting.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• lol. i'm having one of those 'bad mom' moments. i really need to get "What To Expect The First Year'. itd answer a lot of my questions, i bet. the pregnancy one was amazing.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• "i'm having one of those 'bad mom' moments"
    Nope, I didn't read the book either...too boring for me. but I'm sure my doc would have liked it if I had...I asked TONS of questions.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Formula fed babies can go 4-5 days without pooping, too. If it's been a week, then start watching her, massaging her tummy, doing exercises with her legs...and if in pain call the doctor.

Might I also recommend looking for a pediatrician who will see a sick child the day you call?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• TiccledBlue- good suggestion! haha. this is the 2nd one we've been to. and now we'll be looking for a 3rd.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2009