Old Wives Tales??

So tell me Old Wives Tales that you all have heard of....Like...."If you cut a babies finger nails before they are 1 they will steal." LOL my grandma told me that. "If you tickle a baby for they are 1 they will stutter." "Don't let a baby look in a mirror before they are 1 or they will die." But what ones have you ladies heard????? Even if they are silly....This is for fun!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My grandmother used to tell me if you cross your eyes they were going to stick that way, or if you made an ugly face or something it would get stuck like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• When a kid loses their teeth if they drop them on the ground they will grow back as dog teeth. They should be sprinkled with salt and thrown away.( that was a gem from my mil)
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Don't stand at the head of the crib and look down at your baby, or they'll become cross-eyed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• when I was pregnant my grnadmother told me not to raise my hands over my head because it would strangle the baby. Theres a bunch of them...oh..eat venison while pregnant to ensure thick hair and lashes, Don't look at a pocupine while pregnant it will make the baby have a prickly disposition.....still thinking...
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• *porcupine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't know if you consider this an old wives tale but it's something my grandma told my mum and she in turn told us and my older sisters and I tell our daughters - Don't mark your knees or elbows up or no man will ever want you and I'll never be able to marry you off!

I heard this all the time as a kid and I don't have 'nare mark on my knees or my elbows and neither do 2 outta my 3 older sisters. The one that does have marks on her knees has been thru 2 divorces. hahaha My mother was also told as a child not to be out in the sun too long or you'll get to dark and no man would want you either. My mother was (as they said in the oldin days) 'high yellow' and my aunt her older sister is dark so often my g-ma would leave all the outside work for my aunt and say "save the yellow gal, she'll marry well and bring the family riches".

Such silliness - but til this day all us "gals" stay outta the sun.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If you have awful "morning sickness" then you are having a girl...I am so hoping that one is true. LOL
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 11:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• waiting to 30 mins after eating to go swimming is an old wives tale , cats steal babies breath and sitting to close to the tv won't make you go blind
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If you get swept around you wont get married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• if you crack her knuckles you'll get arthritis
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2009