How do I get FLEAS out of my HOUSE???

We got a dog a couple months ago, but we've been keeping her outside for the past several weeks. TOO LATE!! Our house is totally infested with fleas! I have bug bombs, but I haven't set them off, because I can't keep my daughter off the floor anymore. She's learning to crawl, and I don't want to put anything in the carpet that will hurt her. My mom mentioned steam cleaning everything with bleach instead of carpet soap. Do you think this will work? Do you have any better ideas? I'm having people over this weekend and I don't want them to know we have a flea problem!!

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 11:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i tried the home remedies and they were a waste of time. i steam cleaned twice, poured boric acid everywhere, left it on, vaccuumed 2x/day for a week... this may sound ridiculous, but put frontline plus on the dog and keep him INSIDE. the fleas will be gone within a week and you will see the difference w/in 1 or 2 days. make sure to bathe the dog first because the treatment may come off if you bathe too soon.I'm not sure if it helped, but our dog was inside/outside and we put granules all over the yard. We let her stay mostly in the first few days to "soak up all the fleas". it's been 2 or 3 mos,we put more frontline on a couple wks ago when i saw a couple on her.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If you are also dealing with a house infestation of fleas, here's a great way to get rid of the problem. Mix together 1 1/2 pounds of diatomaceous earth, 1 1/2 pounds of natural borax and 1 cup of salt. (Don't use the earth and borax that you can purchase at a pool store, rather use the products that you can get from your local garden store.) The diatomaceous earth works because it contains very tiny particles that have sharp spines, which puncture the exoskeleton of the flea, killing it. The borax and salt work by absorbing the moisture of the flea and make all of those cracks and small areas that they might find to live in your home much more undesirable. You can use the mixture by sprinkling it throughout your home onto carpets and into those harder to reach areas. Allow the mixture to sit for a couple of days and then vacuum it up. Although these
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• powders are not poisonous it's never a good idea for you or your pet to breathe it continually for days so if it's possible to go elsewhere while it sits then that's definitely an option you should use. Alternatively, if you prefer not to douse the house with the mixture, you can always pour it into your vacuum cleaner bag and vacuum everything thoroughly so that any of the sucked up fleas will die inside the bag. Keep in mind that this solution will not kill the un-hatched flea eggs and therefore the process may need to be repeated several times depending on the severity of your problem."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sprinkle table salt into your carpet. It will kill the fleas, perfectly safe for your daughter and no smell!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I tried all kinds of home remedies but i ended up having to bomb the house. I use frontline every month, but the yard really needs treated and so does the house. I just left my cabinets shut and I didnt wash everything in them aftewards, but I did wash all bedding and throws on the couch. Honestly the bombs work the best!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Anonymous

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You can bomb and/or use Advantix. We used to use Frontline, but it is not working so well these days.
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 12:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i strongly suggest that you do not bomb
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Ok, yeah I really don't want to bomb either. And I don't think Borax is a great idea either with a baby constantly playing in the floor. I try to keep her on a blanket, but she's moving around now, so that's just an impossibility.

Ranedare: That's a great suggestion. We've had our dog for a little over 2 months. We put Frontline on her when we first got her, and then forgot about it since then, so I guess that would be the problem! lol, Ok I will try that and see if it helps any.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009