I think I'm going to let my son keep his bottle for a little longer. What do you think about how I'm doing things?

He DOES NOT get the bottle to go to bed with, and he gets his teeth brushed after his bed time bottle before he goes to sleep.

He doesn't walk around with it. I hold him or he will lay on the floor and I take it when he starts to play or is done.

I only give it to him in the morning when he gets up, before nap, and before bed. I'm probably going to cut out one or two of those after his birthday.

Am I a horrible mom for giving him a bottle, or is it ok the way I'm doing it?

(he is small and under weight so he will be on Good Start 2 untill he is at least 18 months, he won't drink it out of a cup)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that it's none of my buisness how you raise your child and it sounds like you are bored and in need of some drama.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Nope not drama, just wondering if this is ok or if I should re-think it.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• you do not sound like you need drama to me
    now 'they' say not to after one year, but years ago this was not the practice, babies had bottles for much longer than these days and we all survived

i think more moms do this then are saying, so no big deal

but many will not agree with me, just watch the amount and comments flood in
    Anonymous

• Letting a child have a bottle past a certain age is not a sign of a bad mother. My daughter kept hers until she was 3 years old. It was more of a security issue for her. As long as his teeth are being brushed, I see no problem.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing right with the way you are giving the bottle (ie it's not going to rot his teeth or anything). There's nothing wrong wtih keeping the bottle. Does he take a cup or a sippy too? My concern would be that if he isn't taking a cup now, it's be a lot harder to wean him later. Also, just in general, sometimes the longer they hold on to it, the more they fight to keep it. But sometimes, they get to an age where they are old enough to know they don't need it or want it anymore. Just my thoughts on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I let my youngest have his until he was 2. I never came on cafemom to ask if everyone thought I should or shouldnt. I guess I just was okay with my decision and knew it wasnt a heaven or hell issue. I think its great you feel comfortable asking others for their thoughts about it, but really I think you have enough confidence in yourself to make this choice. My son is small too, and wouldnt drink milk at all, so I let him keep his bottle of formula until 16mos and then after that we put other things in it. Hes 3 1/2 now and still doesnt like milk but can drink from a cup or sippy or straw or whatever I give him, just fine. Dont defend your choices to anyone. I am not criticizing you but I really want to see mothers learn to say...hey, this is what I am doing and so be it!..LOL.....Just know that youre his mom and youre capable of making good choices for him. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with everyone on here. It doesn't sound like you are looking for drama. I don't think letting him continue to use it is a bad idea. You seem to be very careful about how you do it. My daughter was broke of bottle and binky by the time she was one, but then again we never had a problem breaking her of anything really. You are his mom and know what works best for him... Don't listen to what some people say! GOOD LUCK!
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• At 8 mo my kids were on to sippies. One year is too old for a bottle. Start to transition now - it will be far easier. Or just go straight to a cup. There's no reason an 18 mo old can't drink milk from a cup - just start with a small amount in the cup.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• She's not saying her kid can't drink from a cup. Why are people so hellbent on making little babies grow up so soon? I've personally never seen a 4 yr old with a bottle- why?- because they outgrow it. My 13 mo old sleeps w/me and people worry that he won't go to sleep on his own. He nurses, has a bottle or 2 a day and a sippy. Lately, he has started climbing into his swing (that he never liked before) with a blanket and is putting himself to sleep for naptime. At night in our bed, he nurses a few minutes and watches his aquarium music thing and moves away from me to go to sleep on his own. He let me know when he was ready for table food when he refused baby food and ate cheerios with gusto. Sometimes he wants to be held, nursed, fed,etc, and sometimes he does things on his own. He is becoming more and more independent with introduction to new things, but no pressure.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Everyone will have an opinion on this one but as someone who weened my daughter to a cup at 13 mo. and now has a 16 mo. old - I AM SOOOO GLAD I DID IT THEN! Your child is about to become a toddler and with that comes a stubborn streak and a memory that you wouldn't believe. Since you're son doesn't use the bottle to go to sleep with, you're already in a perfect position to ween. As long as he is taking 2-3 oz of juice/water/etc. from a sippy cup, then he is developmentally ready to take his milk in a sippy. Before you start, stock up on yogurt and cheese - he'll fight you for a couple of days, so make sure he gets his dairy in other places. Then, I would go cold turkey...just replace bottle with sippy. Keep everything else the same (i.e. my daughter would take her bottle on my lap with a blanket...she still takes her milk that way only out of the sippy). Don't waiver and don't go back to the bottle. He'll have it down
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009