JESUS – CHRISNA – KRISHNA?

http://jdstone.org/cr/files/j_krishn.html

There are many similarities and I was wondering what you opinion is of them? Is Jesus the final Avatar that is referred to as the Savior in Hinduism?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that Jesus, Krishna, Mithra, and Horus are all based on the same original story. FAR too many similarities to ignore.

With that, I shall begin.
    Hare krishna, hare krishna, krishna krishna, hare hare
    Hare rama, hare rama, rama rama, hare hare
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No one?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• There are references in Hinduism that say Christ is an avatar of Krishna.

I've yet to hear the thought of Him being the final avatar, but I have heard he as one of them that have already been.

There is a chance, though, if you believe in the second coming (I don't) that He very well could be the final one.

It is also believed by many that there are more avatars (including the Buddha and Zoraster), that the number can be limitless, but that the ten are the primary ones.

It kind of depends on who you ask, seeing as Hinduism allows so much room for personal belief/interpretation, since its not really a creedal/orthodox faith, if that makes sense. (meaning two different Hindus can believe two completely different things)

=)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• *have heard he has been one of them that has already been - blah, lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sure, I go... This has been pointed out here again and again. The myths surounding Jesus as the "Savior," "Messiah," or as a "God/Man." Are all associated with many pre-Christian faiths. Karishna is just one of many! Others include Dionisis (Greece), Horus (Egypt) and others...

My feelings on this are very simple. Jesus is one more example of how religions are all the same! Through out history (and pre-history to be more exact) many many religions would all have very similar myths... The flood, a god man and afterlife similarities among others.

While they mostly had different names for their gods the legends and myths tended to be similar in nature. At their core all religions are basically the same. While we as people all think we NEED to be right and have that ONE that's perfect none are. But there isn't one. Which is why my beliefs do not try to discredit any path as wrong...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Both are on a list of 35 "christs" that are listed in "The book your church doesn't want you to read" by Tim Leedom. You forgot Crite of Chaldea, and Hesus of the Druids, Osiris of Egypt, Ischy (meaning fish man) of the island of Formosa, among others. Certainly Crite, Krishna, and Osiris predated Jesus by hundreds and sometimes thousands of years. Saviors literally span the world. Why the Jews decided, as a nation, to steal so much from the mythology of other lands is more than a co-incidence. But try to tell THEM that!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I personally believe that the recurrence of certain themes an motifs merely proves (to me anyway) the fact that there is one message from One Source, which has been given to the world numerous times, in ways each society can best understand it.

I also believe that the main point of the question was the fact that Jesus is considered to be an actual avatar of Krishna, and not merely pointing out similarities or forgeries, although I do admit that the similarities are there - but, again, I see them as more God reiterating His one message to us through means that relate best to the specific audience He is addressing at the time.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Most of what we consider "Religion" is simply people trying to make sence of why we are here and what happens when we are gone. The occurance of the GodMan Myth in so many is simply humans being afraid of their own mortality. We don't know what happens on the other side of death. No matter what we believe we have no proof til it happens! We want to believe there is a good ending to all this and that the gods love us. So over and over again you see the same myths being repeated in order to make us feel as if we are closer to that all ilusive God... Religions that existed thousands of years before Christianity held the beliefs that are today seen as "Christian" and once Christianity has all died off, they will peak their heads out again... Why? Because they are what we know. The writers of the bible, those creating the faith, would have heard these myths over and over and made them their own. And that will repeat again!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with witchqueen this is just one of many examples where people have tried to say that Christianity just copied the stories of other myths. I personally believe though that there is no real evidence that these stories in other cultures predated the New Testament. The ancient texts do not date back that far, while I admitt the worship of Vishnu and Mithra, etc. do. What my point is, is that I have yet to see an original manuscript that has contained these stories, date back to before Christ. I know, I know, "experts" say they do but I haven't yet seen the proof.

Would it be fair to say that their stories are based on what the apostles told them of Jesus when they traveled the world spreading the gospel? That all of these cultures who have taken the story of Christ and added it to their own already growing folklore. And if all these different faiths have the same Jesus story, who had it first? And then WHY!!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• WHY is a big question!!! Some people say because all roads lead to the same God. But then why would the "avatars" of this God not just tell us that. And why would Krishna's personality be so different from the man Jesus? Why would Jesus say that He is the only way, that there is no other name given among men by which we must be saved? I mean if He was really Vishnu!!! Or for the athiests, who don't believe in Vishnu either . . . why do you think that all the apostles and believers in the early church would allow themselves to be tortured and killed for some story that they just made up (or copied from sparknotes guide to ancient mythology)?

I personally believe that although Jesus the man was not born yet, the prophesies about Him were so clear even before Israel entered the promised land that by looking and the signs in the heavens the magi were able to find him and worship Him as a little boy. Other cultures knew . . .
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009